Nicholas Sparks

Friday night I got to hear Nicholas Sparks speak at North Central High School in Indianapolis.  I was looking forward to hearing him because I am a fan of his books, but I was impressed with him as a speaker and person as well as a writer.  He was very entertaining and funny as he told his story about how he became a writer.  No, he did not dream of being a writer as a kid.  Instead he dreamed of running track in the Olympics.  After running track in high school, he won a full athletic scholarship to Notre Dame and set the school record (that still stands today) as part of the 4 by 800 relay team.  An injury his freshman year ended his track dreams.  He wrote a novel that summer because his mother was tired of him moping around.  That one didn’t go anywhere.

He majored in business and bounced around in different jobs after graduating.  One day he woke up and realized that he had lived the past twelve years without working toward any dreams.  He decided to seriously pursue writing a novel.  He wrote a story inspired by his wife’s grandparents–it became The Notebook.  He’s been writing ever since–not romances, but love stories. 

I was even more impressed by how he gives of himself.  With so many best-selling novels and movie adaptations, he could live a life of luxury.  Instead he coaches track at a public high school in New Bern, NC.  The track team he coaches brought home four individual championships at the last national track meet.  He enourages the boys he coaches to pursue their dreams and helps make it possible.  He has even had some of the boys move in with him and his family when they had nowhere else to go.  Many of the track team members go on to college with scholarships.  He and his wife also started a private Christian school in New Bern.  I wonder if I could teach there?

I wish many of you could have been there to hear him.  I did learn, though, that the Marion County Public Library sponsers a writer to speak every year.  Past speakers have included Eric Carle, Gary Paulsen, E.L. Konigsburg, and many others.  I plan on keeping my eyes open for next year’s guest writer.  Maybe I’ll find out about it early enough to plan a field trip.

4 Comments on Nicholas Sparks

1. 7benejcms13
    April 21, 2009 at 8:47 pm (15 years ago)

i didnt know who this was ’till i read this but he sounds like a good writer….. ill look into his books

Reply
  2. Anonymous
    April 21, 2009 at 12:18 pm (15 years ago)

Mrs, Mcgriff this sounds so cool.You should of took some students to go with you cause I wanna go see him.He sounds so cool to watch!

Reply
  3. kaymcgriff
    April 20, 2009 at 1:07 pm (15 years ago)

He was awesome in person. I wish I could have taken a bus full of students with me. Maybe we can get him to come speak to our school! If not, we’ll check out next year’s speaker. These speakers are sponsored through the Marion County Library system.

Reply
  4. Mrs. Graue
    April 7, 2009 at 2:37 pm (15 years ago)

Wow, Mrs. McGriff. I am so jealous! I love to read Sparks when I can. It is great escape reading. I can only imagine how awesome it was to see him in person. I imagine he has a charming personality. I like how humble he is. That makes him an even better writer, in my opinion.
    Keep me posted on who is “coming to town” next year!

Reply