Cake Pop Crush by Suzanne Nelson

imageAre you looking for the perfect book to take to the beach or to read sitting beside the pool?  Suzanne Nelson’s Cake Pop Crush is just the book for you.  There’s not much beach action (though one memorable scene does take place at a pool party), but Oak Canyon Middle School is smack dab in the middle of sunny Southern California.

Ali Ramirez lives to bake.  It’s a good thing since her father owns Say It With Flour, a local bakery.  Ali’s newest craze is making cake pops. but she can’t convince her traditional father to try something new in the bakery.  Then Perk Up, a fancy coffee chain, opens a new store across the street.  To complicate matters, the owner’s son Dane McGuire is the dreamiest boy to ever walk the outdoor halls of middle school, and he likes to bake.  Who’s cake pops while rise to the challenge of a bake off as the competition between the two stores heats up?

There is so much to love about this book:  star-crossed lovers who fight as much as they flirt, best friends who stick together through thick and thin, mean girls who stoop to low acts of revenge motivated by jealousy, a loving family who doesn’t always see eye-to-eye.  Even though this is a fun, light-hearted read, I liked the fact that none of the characters were completely one-sided.  The mean girls aren’t totally mean (and can even be nice on occasion), and the good girls aren’t entirely good.

Amazon affiliate link

If reading about delicious baked goods makes you hungry, there are even recipes for cake pops in the back.  I just might be inspired to add another project to my summer list of things I want to do.  For now, you’ll have to put up with the brownies in the picture!

Disclosure: I participate in the Amazon Associates Program. If you decide to make a purchase by clicking on the affiliate links, Amazon will pay me a commission. This commission doesn’t cost you any extra. All opinions are my own.

6 Comments on Cake Pop Crush by Suzanne Nelson

1. Salena
    August 4, 2016 at 10:10 pm (8 years ago)

I read it in 3 hours because i had to take a quiz on a fiction nook for school and was on the deadline of getting an E but I loved this book sooo much!

August 5, 2016 at 7:48 am (8 years ago)

I’m glad you liked it! I hope you did well on your quiz (even though quizzes can ruin a good read)

2. Cailin
    February 20, 2015 at 1:05 pm (9 years ago)

I loved this book I was wondering if there is a second one

March 19, 2015 at 12:00 pm (9 years ago)

There are two companion books–You’re Bacon Me Crazy and Macarons at Midnight. I haven’t read either of them, but from the blurb on Suzanne’s website it looks like they focus on new characters who also love baking or cooking.

3. Ashely
    April 12, 2014 at 10:09 am (10 years ago)

I read Cake Pop Crush in 2 1/2 days. It was one of the best books I’ve read in my life. For my birthday my mom and I are going to make a cake pop recipe from the book.

April 12, 2014 at 10:04 pm (10 years ago)

Those sound yummy!