Poetry Friday: Free the Feet

We are finally thawing out from our deep freeze. While it’s not quite warm enough for bare feet, there are signs of springs. I discovered new green shoots from my crocus and daffodil bulbs poking tentative shoots up from the ground.

Today’s poem looks forward to even warmer days when my toes can enjoy freedom again. It is also one of my daily poems from Laura Shovan’s February Daily Poem Project. Check out the prompts from the past week. They have all been fabulous–and brain-stretching. Just a few more days to go, and I might actually make a poem each day this year.

FREE THE FEET

unfetter my feet
from their boxy boots
and clunky clogs
let them gallop
through fresh spring grass
and sink into warm sand
even let them gingerly
graze across the gravel drive
until they dig
in the garden dirt
and connect again
with earth

Each Friday, I am excited to take part in Poetry Friday, where writers share their love of all things poetry. Karen hosts the Poetry Friday Roundup today at Karen Edmisten. She shares the whimsical wisdom of Billy Collins. (Are you as old as Cheerios?) Hurry  over and check out all the poetry morsels offered up today.

12 Comments on Poetry Friday: Free the Feet

1. Ruth
    March 2, 2021 at 4:01 pm (3 years ago)

Oh yes! I love living in a place where I can go barefoot every day. Here’s wishing for some nice warm weather for you! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

Reply
  2. Jan/Bookseedstudio
    March 1, 2021 at 7:54 am (3 years ago)

“Free the Fee” is a happy, image-filled alliterative guide to good ground, ahead.
    And also, to what’s past- your successful month of February fun with Laura’s annual challenge.

Brava! for all those Feb. poems.
    And Brava! for you boost to brave winterfeet!

~~Jan/Bookseedstudio

Reply
  3. Tabatha
    February 28, 2021 at 9:41 pm (3 years ago)

Congrats on being so productive with Laura’s project! That’s great 🙂 I enjoyed the sounds of your poem.

Reply
  4. KAREN EDMISTEN
    February 28, 2021 at 4:18 pm (3 years ago)

Ah, you’re making me want to go barefoot in my backyard! Not yet, but soon, soon…. 🙂

Reply
  5. Linda Baie
    February 28, 2021 at 3:30 pm (3 years ago)

I love this, Kay, & loved it when you shared before, too. I wonder if after our big snow melts, I’ll see some green shoots, too. And I am so missing the beach to ‘sink into warm sand’. Ah, dreaming!

Reply
  6. Susan Bruck
    February 28, 2021 at 12:44 pm (3 years ago)

I love your poem. It makes my feet–and the rest of me–long for spring. We still have snow on the ground, so I’m not going out barefoot yet–but I can’t wait!

Reply
  7. Kathryn Apel
    February 28, 2021 at 8:09 am (3 years ago)

Lovely use of alliteration, Kay. It gets my toes to tapping. 🙂 (I think that gingerly grazing gravel is my fave – because it’s quite beautiful, but I know that tender feeling!)

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      February 28, 2021 at 10:11 am (3 years ago)

Thanks, Kat. It is a tender feeling, at least until my tender spring feet toughen up.

Reply
  8. Sally Murphy
    February 28, 2021 at 4:39 am (3 years ago)

PS I had trouble following your link from the round-up and needed to come directly to your blog to find you. Just telling you in case others have had the same trouble and you’re feeling neglected.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll see if I can correct it. Love technology–when it works! (and when I don’t mess it up.

Reply
  9. Sally Murphy
    February 28, 2021 at 4:26 am (3 years ago)

Kay I adore this and, as I read, realised my toes were wriggling. I love ‘unfetter my feet’ as much as I adore actually unfettering my feet. I think we have much in common!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      February 28, 2021 at 10:10 am (3 years ago)

Thanks, Sally! I am so looking forward to warm enough weather to unfetter my feet.

Reply