It’s Monday! What are you reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey.  Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist.  It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next.  Join up with us and discover what good books other people  are reading.

image

I am still keeping up with the PO-EMotion challenge sponsored by Mary Lee at A Year of Reading. I have enjoyed reading the poems that others have written and have stretched myself in writing a poem every day. I hope you enjoy some of the poems linked below.

It has been a week filled with ups and downs. We had an orchestra concert and piano recital, Academic Awards Banquet. In the middle were two trips to the hospital for tests and xrays for my daughter and me. Let’s just say I lost the fight with the avocado and knife. No permanent damage, but I’m currently typing with one hand. The other hand is auditioning for a role in The Mummy.

I finished…

Amazon Affiliate Link

March Toward the Thunder by Joseph Bruchac – another winning historical fiction novel with unforgettable characters. Louis Nollette, an Abenaki Indian/French Canadian joins the 69th Fighting Irish Brigade of the Union Army in 1864.

I’m currently reading…

Amazon Affiliate Link

What Have You Lost – edited by Naomi Shihab Nye – Each poem is a juicy morsel for me to chew on throughout the day. All of them are breathtaking with their language and imagery.

The Niching Nest by Tad Hargrave – more business reading

Amazon Affiliate Link

A Praying Life by Paul E. Miller – I just started this one

Coming up…

I’m hoping for a much less eventful week this week.

Disclosure: I participate in the Amazon Associates Program. If you decide to make a purchase by clicking on the affiliate links, Amazon will pay me a commission. This commission doesn’t cost you any extra. All opinions are my own.

15 Comments on It’s Monday! What are you reading?

1. Myra from GatheringBooks
    April 28, 2015 at 10:51 am (9 years ago)

So sorry to hear about your accident. I do hope you feel better soon. We don’t have a copy of this particular Naomi Shihab Nye poem, sadly. 🙁

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      April 28, 2015 at 11:17 am (9 years ago)

Thanks. The hand is slowly getting better.

Reply
  2. Linda Baie
    April 28, 2015 at 12:33 am (9 years ago)

I love Bruchac’s writing, thanks for the title Kay. I’m sorry about your accident-ugh. Hope it’ll be healed fast!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      April 28, 2015 at 9:44 am (9 years ago)

It’s one of the best Civil War novels I’ve read–and I’ve read a lot. The hand is healing.

Reply
  3. Ricki Ginsberg
    April 27, 2015 at 10:01 pm (9 years ago)

Oh no! I always lose fights with knives. I’ve been to the ER more than once…

I am glad you liked that Joseph Bruchac book. I read it a few years ago and loved it. He is incredible! Get well soon, friend!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      April 28, 2015 at 9:43 am (9 years ago)

I love evrything I’ve read by Bruchac–what an incredible writer. Stay away from fighting with knives. I will have to learn a new strtegy for pitting avocados.

Reply
  4. Kellee Moye (@kelleemoye)
    April 27, 2015 at 8:37 pm (9 years ago)

Joseph Bruchac is such a versatile author. His scary stories are so creepy and his historical fiction are so well done. He is so impressive!

Happy reading this week! 🙂

Reply
    • Kellee Moye (@kelleemoye)
      April 27, 2015 at 8:39 pm (9 years ago)

P.S. I am so glad to hear that you and your daughter are okay!

Reply
      • Mrs. McGriff
        April 28, 2015 at 9:41 am (9 years ago)

Thanks! When I started reading the Bruchac book, my mom asked what it was about. At that point I didn’t know, but I knew it would be good!

Reply
  5. Laura Cooper
    April 27, 2015 at 11:37 am (9 years ago)

I did the same thing with a knife and a loaf of bread. No fun! I’m going to order A Praying Life now–just read a description of it on Amazon and looks great! Thanks for sharing your reading.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      April 27, 2015 at 12:23 pm (9 years ago)

I’m not recommending knife wounds to anyone! Enjoy A Praying Life.

Reply
  6. Holly Mueller
    April 27, 2015 at 10:13 am (9 years ago)

Yikes about the hand – I did that with a bagel and a knife many years ago and had to get stitches. Not fun! I read A Praying Life and LOVED it!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      April 27, 2015 at 11:03 am (9 years ago)

No stitches! I’m looking forward to A Praying Life. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Reply
  7. Mary Lee
    April 27, 2015 at 5:49 am (9 years ago)

Ack! Sorry to hear about the Avacado-knife fight! Heal quickly!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      April 27, 2015 at 8:08 am (9 years ago)

Thanks! The bandages look much worse than the actual cut.

Reply