Reading Resolutions and More

It’s the new year, and I’m not much for making resolutions.  I do like dreaming of the possibilities a new year can bring, especially when I think of all the good books out there waiting for me to discover them.

A conversation over on Twitter has got me thinking about some of those books that I might be missing out on because I get stuck reading my favorites.  If you look at the shelves in my classroom, it’s easy to tell what my favorite genres are:  fantasy and science fiction, historical fiction, realistic fiction.  Those shelves are overflowing with books. It’s also easy too tell what my bookgaps are.  Those are the shelves that look empty and lonely:  graphic novels, sports and adventure stories, horror, and almost all nonfiction except for memoir.  I’ve gotten better at reading outside my comfort zone (and if nothing else is available, I will read just about anything), but I could definitely push myself.

Some of these bookgaps have been longstanding.  I can remember the children’s librarian from my hometown trying to convince me to read some nonfiction as part of the summer reading program.  I may have read the most books that summer, but I definitely didn’t read the most variety.  I finally gave in on nonfiction by reading a couple of biographies and lots of mythology.  Fortunately, I’ve since discovered some nonfiction books that I actually enjoyed.  I suspect the nonfiction writing is getting better!

Last year I did set a goal of reading 200 books.  Much to my surprise, I made it!  I can still remember when Paul Hankins started the Centurians group on Facebook.  I didn’t know if I could read 100 books that year (and my husband thought I was nuts to consider it), but I did it.

Rather than increase (or even set) a number of books for a reading goal this year, I want to explore some different possibilities.  Some of these explore possibilities of what I want to read.  Others explore ways I can share what I read.

• Read more books to fill in my bookgaps:  graphic novels and nonfiction especially
  • Read some of the classics I missed.  Can you believe I’ve never read Catcher in the Rye?
  • Add more book trailers to my blog and share them with my classes.
  • Do more book talks in class!
  • Keep searching to put the right book in the hands of the right student at the right time.  I want every student in my classes to find the book that speaks to them.
  • Develop my PLN on Twitter.  I’ve been listening in on great conversations.  Now it’s time to speak up and join in the conversations.

What possibilities would you like to explore through the coming year?  Are there bookgaps in your reading life waiting for you to explore?  Are you all about the numbers?  What is your book number?

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Reading Resolutions and More