Fun on a Friday

It is definitely time to bring back the tradition of Fun on a Friday tradition–usually a book trailer or other literary related video that I’ve discovered in my wanderings over the internet.  Since I’m resurrecting a long-dormant tradition, you get two videos today!

It seems libraries (along with many other public services) have come under attack as costing too much.  These two videos deal with the cost to society if we lose our libraries, whether public libraries or school libraries.  I shudder to think what the world would be like without libraries.  I have confession to make.  I don’t go to the library as often as I (or my daughter) would like.  I’m trying to read my way through the boxes of books in my house.  I also have trouble rounding up the books and returning them on time.  Those overdue fines add up fast!

Even so, I can’t imagine not having a library card.  Visiting the library and getting my very own card is one of the first things I do when I move to a new community.  I even talked my way into a library card in the town where I worked for the summer at camp!

First up is Daniel Handler (better known as Lemony Snicket) performing the song “Without Libraries” at the San Francisco Public Library.  Thanks to The Hub for sharing this video in blogging about  the Printz reception at ALA.

Next is a video that made the rounds of Facebook and Twitter.  I love how it reframes the question in the public discourse.

What is your favorite memory from the library?