Mrs. McGriff's Reading Blog

Happy reading!

Parents guide to blogging

Welcome to my blog!  I started this blog to share what is going on in my classroom with my students and their parents.  It has grown into a place to do that and more.  You can find anything and everything related to my seventh grade language arts class here.  I will highlight student work, link to student blogs, connect with young adult author and book blogs, post weekly assignments, and share lots of great books.

As you can see, a blog is a place to share your ideas.  Unlike a diary, people around the world can read these blogs.  Check out the map on the right.  Every red dot is a place around the world where someone dropped by to read my blog.  Each student will be getting a blog, too.  Students can publish their writing to their blog and will write about the books they are reading.  Students are free to write posts about any topic they want.  Just remember that the blogs are through school and can be read by anyone.

You can find student blogs listed on the far right side.  Just click on the student’s name to visit his or her blog.

You can even sign up to receive an email notification for every new post.  Just fill out the form in the top right corner with your email and click the “SUBSCRIBE” button.  You will receive an email confirmation with a link for you to click to confirm.  This email will also give you directions on how to unsubscribe.

subscribe by email

I invite you to join in this journey with us.  I would love to hear your thoughts, too, about what we are doing in class or the books we are reading.  If you would like to join the conversation, it’s easy.

First you need to open the comment form for a particular post.  Look for the comments link under the post title.  If no one has chimed in yet, it will say “no comments.”  If people have already joined the discussion, the link will indicate how many comments.  Clicking the link or the post title will take you to a comment form.

click to comment

You will have to fill in some basic information:

comment form

1. Type your name.  For safety, students should give only their first name and last initial.  Adults may choose to fill in the name with what information you are comfortable with.
  2. Your email.  This email is private and will not be shared in any way.
  3. Type your message.  If you are new to blogging and aren’t sure what to leave in a comment, you might try one of these suggestions:
    • Ask a question–What do you want to know more about?
    • Add new information–What facts do you know about this topic?
    • Make a connection–What does the post remind you of?
    • Proofread your comment before clicking “submit.”  Since I’m not up on the latest texting lingo, please use regular English, too!
  4. Type the anti-spam word in the box.
  5. If you would like to receive email notifications of my response (and those of any other commenters on this post), click to put a check mark in the box. You will receive a confirmation email with a link for you to confirm that you do want to receive notifications.
  6.  Once you have filled out the form, click “POST COMMENT.”  Your comment should appear on my blog.

I do not edit or change comments.  I want to hear your voice.  I welcome a difference of opinion as long as everyone remains respectful.  I will delete comments that are rude or inappropriate.

I hope to hear from you soon!