Poetry Friday: Nature’s Symphony

One of the things I love about living in the country, is listening to the sounds all around me. It’s quieter now in the winter–a few sand hill cranes honk as they fly overhead and the wind moans and whistles depending on its mood. Maybe tonight we’ll hear the quiet swoosh of snow falling of the clink of sleet/freezing rain. But during the rest of the year, nature creates a glorious symphony for me to enjoy. I like nothing better than to sit on the front porch with a cup of tea and soak it in. Here’s a poem that came from one such concert.

Nature’s Symphony

Down by the pond
a bullfrog croaks
like a big bass drum.
Across the field
cicadas strum
soft banjo notes.
From the woods
crickets sing
along some fiddle strings
until a woodpecker’s
rat-a-tat-tat
ricochets the final rap.

I also received two more postcards to brighten my week. Thank you, Jone and Margaret!

Each Friday, I am excited to take part in Poetry Friday, where writers share their love of all things poetry. Catherine hosts the Poetry Friday Roundup today at Reading to the Core. She shares a collection of haiku from December’s #haikuforhope. Hurry over and check out all the poetry morsels offered up today.

18 Comments on Poetry Friday: Nature’s Symphony

1. Ramona
    January 22, 2020 at 1:32 am (4 years ago)

Love your country symphony from the porch! I miss cicadas. We had them in Texas, but not in the NW. But we do hear bullfrogs and woodpeckers and the occasional owl. Even in our urban setting, we can hear nature.

January 24, 2020 at 8:46 am (4 years ago)

Thanks, Ramona. I find it amazing how much wildlife adapts to urban settings.

2. Karen Eastlund
    January 21, 2020 at 11:33 am (4 years ago)

Love the poem and the sentiment. Nothing I love more also. I recently went out to find the sandhill cranes that are seen a few miles from me. Couldn’t locate them, but did see a bald eagle! Nature’s symphony relaxes…rejuvenates… renews…

January 24, 2020 at 8:45 am (4 years ago)

Yes, it does! I haven’t seen the large flocks of cranes this year (either I’m passing at the wrong time of day, or they are going elsewhere since many of those fields did not get planted last year), but I usually see small groups flying overhead. I haven’t caught sight a bald eagle recently, but they are around this area now.

3. Michelle Kogan
    January 20, 2020 at 2:26 am (4 years ago)

Your poem sings the songs of all the critters within, lovely, thanks!

January 20, 2020 at 4:11 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, Michelle. I’m looking forward to their return.

4. JoAnn Early Macken
    January 19, 2020 at 5:33 pm (4 years ago)

Your peaceful setting sounds heavenly! I love the joyful music that surrounds you.

thanks, JoAnn. I love sitting on the porch to enjoy the concert!

5. Mary Lee
    January 19, 2020 at 8:47 am (4 years ago)

I think the quiet of Winter makes us appreciate the symphony of life in the other seasons so much more!

Oh, it does! And the moaning of the wind this past weekend makes me appreciate the more cheerful sounds of the animals in the evening.

January 20, 2020 at 4:10 pm (4 years ago)

thanks, Carol. I love that you are sharing nature with Sierra, and soon her little sister, too!

6. Linda Mitchell
    January 17, 2020 at 8:11 pm (4 years ago)

I can hear it! How lovely…oh, that bull frog bass drum. He’s got to be my favorite! Enjoy your setting. It really sounds heavenly.

January 17, 2020 at 9:11 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, Linda. I do like that bull frog’s bass drum but I’m partial to the cicada’s strum, too. We do enjoy our porch and pond. It’s always open.

7. Linda Baie
    January 17, 2020 at 3:38 pm (4 years ago)

I love how you connected orchestral sounds with your own concerts, Kay. And, thanks for your postcard which I just received. I thought I had received them all, but guess now! I’ll share next time!

January 17, 2020 at 4:34 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, Linda. Those orchestra connections come naturally since my daughter plays cello! I’m glad my postcard arrived.

8. janicescully
    January 17, 2020 at 3:14 pm (4 years ago)

What a lovely poem and image. I love sitting and listening in the summer when I can be away in a quieter place than my street. Thanks for sharing this.

January 17, 2020 at 4:33 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, Janice. We are lucky to be surrounded by quiet.