Poetry Friday: A season of waiting

One of my favorite Christmas (really, Advent) traditions the past few years has been to take part in the Photo-a-Day challenge offered by Rethink Church. For each day of Advent, they provide a word and invite people to take a photo that represents the word, no explanation needed. Of course, I have to add words and combine a short poem with my photo.

I like the opportunity to pause and reflect throughout the day as I ponder the word and look for a photo and poem to express my thoughts about it. Sometimes I take a photo that day; sometimes I browse through my photos from the past. Sometimes I feel my words hit the mark, and sometimes I feel they miss completely. Whichever it is, I appreciate the time for reflection.

Here are a few of my poems from this past week.

If you are looking for other inspiration and community through poetry, check out Jone Rush MacCulloch’s #haikuforkindness. I am hoping to join in more with these, too.

Each Friday, I am excited to take part in Poetry Friday, where writers share their love of all things poetry. Tanita hosts the Poetry Friday Roundup today at [fiction, instead of lies] She and her Poetry Sisters are sharing sonnets of gratitude. Hurry over and check out all the poetry morsels offered up today.

24 Comments on Poetry Friday: A season of waiting

1. Michelle Kogan
    December 11, 2019 at 2:28 am (4 years ago)

Your “early morning stillness” speaks to me in both the haiku and image–a good way to calmly step into our day, thanks Kay!

December 13, 2019 at 9:29 am (4 years ago)

Thanks, Michelle. I look forward to that stillness each morning before the rush of the day begins

2. Molly Hogan
    December 10, 2019 at 9:04 pm (4 years ago)

I’m always a fan of combining photos and poems. I especially like “Proclaiming”. That “early morning stillness” always speaks to me.

December 13, 2019 at 9:28 am (4 years ago)

Thanks, Molly. I love that early morning stillness, too.

3. Kathryn Apel
    December 9, 2019 at 12:57 am (4 years ago)

I love this project you do each year. And I’m admiring the presentation for this year’s project. I can see it as a desktop inspiration calendar. I especially like ‘Awake’.

December 13, 2019 at 9:27 am (4 years ago)

Thanks, Kat. I enjoy combining the words and pictures each season.

4. Michelle Heidenrich Barnes
    December 8, 2019 at 3:24 pm (4 years ago)

You’re right that the time given to reflection is key. The outcome is less important. But these ARE lovely, Kay. This practice clearly suits you.

December 8, 2019 at 6:00 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you, Michelle. I am enjoying the process and am glad people are enjoying the outcomes.

5. Mary Lee Hahn
    December 8, 2019 at 9:37 am (4 years ago)

It is, indeed, a season of waiting!

December 8, 2019 at 5:59 pm (4 years ago)

Yes, it is! Thanks for stopping by.

6. Donna Smith
    December 7, 2019 at 8:43 pm (4 years ago)

What a beautiful way to enter the season – word and image, and the bonus words to ponder!

December 8, 2019 at 9:28 am (4 years ago)

Thanks, Donna. This has been an Advent (and Lenten) practice that I’ve come to look forward to.

7. tanita♥
    December 7, 2019 at 5:40 pm (4 years ago)

What a fun idea – photographic poetry prompts! Thank you so much for sharing that.
    I think my favorite is the proclamation — a word that normally evokes a loud and boisterous announcement — but paired with listening closely and stillness provides enough of a poetic turn to surprise us. Lovely.

Thanks, Tanita. I find that the photos and poems often surprise me as I reflect throughout the day.

8. jama
    December 7, 2019 at 12:30 pm (4 years ago)

These are lovely, Kay. I think my favorite is the last one. Beautiful photo depicting a path to follow.

December 8, 2019 at 9:27 am (4 years ago)

Thanks, Jama. I think my camera roll might be trying to tell me something when I see how many pictures of paths there are in it.

9. Linda Mitchell
    December 7, 2019 at 11:50 am (4 years ago)

Oh, lovely! I really like proclaiming peace….and then wait in the stillness. I enjoy advent so very much. The invitation to reflect and move inward is comforting to me. You’ve got some beautiful pics in this too. The winter grass is pretty.

December 8, 2019 at 9:26 am (4 years ago)

Thanks, Linda. Even though I’ve been finding more of these pictures from my camera roll rather than taking a photo each day, I enjoy the invitation to reflect and to pair words and pictures

10. Linda Baie
    December 7, 2019 at 11:04 am (4 years ago)

Love each one, Kay, but “listen closely” is the best advice. And it sounds fun not only to write the words, but to find a picture that fits each day’s prompt, too. Enjoy your month!

December 8, 2019 at 9:25 am (4 years ago)

Thanks, Linda. I think I often write these for myself-I need to remember to take time to listen closely

11. Tabatha
    December 6, 2019 at 6:52 pm (4 years ago)

Love this: “Sometimes I feel my words hit the mark, and sometimes I feel they miss completely. Whichever it is, I appreciate the time for reflection.”
    Gratitude for the process and the discovery! You hit the mark either way 🙂

December 6, 2019 at 9:25 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, Tabatha. I am grateful for the process that leads to discovery.

12. Ruth
    December 6, 2019 at 12:33 pm (4 years ago)

I’ve really been enjoying following your take on these prompts! It’s one of my favorite Advent things, too.

December 6, 2019 at 9:24 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, Ruth. I look forward to your pictures. I enjoy the different perspectives people share.