Poetry Friday: new year haiku

Happy New Year! I’m glad to be back with Poetry Friday after taking a break in December. I offer two haiku this morning that reflect the beginning of this year for me. There are big changes (good ones) fast approaching that is upending all that we thought was settled. I may not be able to join in every week with the craziness that is coming, but I will be reading and writing poetry in the moments I can.

the road stretches out
leading to journeys unknown
in the coming year

the minutes are crammed
with too many things to do
while moments slip past

I also received my first poetry post cards welcoming the new year–the year of the pig. Thanks to Jone MacCulloch for organizing this new year’s treat. These postcards were just what I needed. I am working on my poem and postcard and hope to have them sent out soon!

First, from Linda Mitchell

And from Diane Mayr:

Each Friday, I am excited to take part in Poetry Friday, where writers share their love of all things poetry. Sylvia Vardell hosts the Poetry Friday Roundup today at Poetry for Children. She shares a sneak peek of upcoming books of poetry as well as books about poets and poetry. It’s shaping up to be a good poetry year. Hurry over and check out all the poetry morsels offered up today.

22 Comments on Poetry Friday: new year haiku

1. Susan Bruck
    January 9, 2019 at 12:07 am (5 years ago)

I love your haiku–the words and the images, too. Good luck with your upcoming changes–I may have a few big ones coming this year, too. You poems capture that feeling of excitement and also time speeding by–filled with busyness and forgetting (at least I do sometimes) to savor each precious moment. Thanks for sharing these

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      January 9, 2019 at 9:00 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks, Susan. Good luck with your upcoming changes, too.

Reply
  2. Michelle Kogan
    January 8, 2019 at 12:39 am (5 years ago)

Such a full post Kay, love your haikus, sounds like life in percolating for you… and the postcards are lovely too! Happy New Year!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      January 9, 2019 at 8:59 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks, Michelle. Aren’t these postcards just lovely–and the two I received this week are, too!

Reply
  3. Liz Garton Scanlon
    January 7, 2019 at 12:58 pm (5 years ago)

Haiku — always one of my favorites, and such a good way to kick off the year!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff

They are good any time of the year!

Reply
  4. Carol Varsalona
    January 6, 2019 at 11:09 pm (5 years ago)

Kay, may the changes in your life brings good fortune and peace. I look forward to reading more of your posts and poetry. I am capturing your 2nd haiku for my winter gallery because it says it all for me.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff

Thanks, Carol. Please use the haiku for your winter gallery! I’m not sure I’ll have time to do much more, but we’ll see!

Reply
  5. Jean James
    January 6, 2019 at 10:53 pm (5 years ago)

“the minutes are crammed with too many things to do while moments slip past” Wow I just love this, and can relate so much. The postcards are so beautiful, what a great idea!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      January 9, 2019 at 8:58 pm (5 years ago)

That is my life right now! I’m trying not to let the moments slip past–poetry helps. I love getting and sending the postccards.

Reply
  6. Kiesha Shepard
    January 5, 2019 at 1:56 pm (5 years ago)

Such a wonderful collection! Congrats on all the welcomed changes coming your way!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      January 6, 2019 at 6:41 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks, Keisha!

Reply
  7. Kathryn Apel
    January 5, 2019 at 12:48 am (5 years ago)

Your new year could sound ominous – except you say good things! But sounds like there will be busy-ness involved! Wonderful that you could grasp some haiku moments as they skittered past. And how lovely are your postcards!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff

Thanks, Kat. I’m hoping to find a few haiku moments each day to help me pause and savor each day despite the busy-ness.

Reply
  8. Jone
    January 4, 2019 at 11:35 pm (5 years ago)

I just got Diane’s card today. And I love Linda’s! I sent mine out the other day. I love your planner having just bought one for the first time in many days years.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      January 6, 2019 at 6:40 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you, Jone, for organizing the post card exchange. It is just what a need to bring a moment to pause. I hope to get mine out this week.

Reply
  9. Linda M.
    January 4, 2019 at 9:09 pm (5 years ago)

Oh, my goodness! The mail was quick this week. My goodness. I’m relieved you let us know that the changes are good. Your haiku hints at really big things. I’m glad you will not leave Poetry Friday completely. Please let us know if you need support along the journey. I must agree…even without big things, my minutes are crammed too. Happy New Year, you!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      January 6, 2019 at 6:39 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks, Linda! Yes, the changes are good–but will take lots of time and energy. I’m trying to take each day at a time.

Reply
  10. Linda Baie
    January 4, 2019 at 7:13 pm (5 years ago)

Your changes sound exciting, but if they are big, I understand that time is limited. Thanks for these haiku & sharing the postcards, Kay. Happy New Year for the new things!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      January 6, 2019 at 6:38 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks, Linda. Happy New year to you, too.

Reply
  11. Tabatha
    January 4, 2019 at 12:39 pm (5 years ago)

I’m glad the big changes coming are good ones! Wishing you luck as you navigate them. The postcards are terrific — what a treat!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      January 4, 2019 at 2:36 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks, Tabatha. Yes, the postcards are terrific!

Reply