Poetry Friday: Limerick Politics

I have struggled this week. Each time my phone buzzed with an update from the New York times, I dreaded to see what new catastrophe was erupting from the White House. While I disagree with almost every policy position stated by the current administration, I take no pleasure in seeing one branch of government implode and possibly self-destruct.

I will continue to write, call, and email my representatives to resist policies that threaten to poison our environment, strip health care from millions, and increase fear and bigotry, I am thankful for a strong press that is determined to uncover corruption and hold elected officials accountable even when they try to hide their actions. I hope the people elected to Congress will step up to put the good of our country first–over the hyper-partisanship that plagues it now–and learn to work together (and that compromise is not always a dirty word). But I take no pleasure in it. Hold the popcorn. I think I might puke instead.

A limerick might not seem the best poetic form to express my dismay, but I was looking for some humor to help me cope with the news of the week. I hope you find some respite in a bit of a laugh. Or maybe I should just hope for a few laughs.

There once was a man who would tweet.
He thought that his fingers were fleet.
But words have a way
Of getting away.
And soon he will find he’s been beat.

There once was a Prez named Don
Who pulled an elaborate con.
He challenged the press
To clean up his mess.
They did so with utter aplomb.

Here’s to better news next week!

Each Friday, I am excited to take part in Poetry Friday, where writers share their love of all things poetry. Keisha has the Poetry Friday Roundup today at Whispers from the Ridge. Stop by and see what poetry morsels are offered this week. 

27 Comments on Poetry Friday: Limerick Politics

1. Laura Shovan
    May 26, 2017 at 9:05 pm (7 years ago)

This is a productive way to handle your frustration, Kay. I continue to be horrified by our so-called president’s antics? Buffoonery? A limerick is the perfect poetic container for him.

2. jama
    May 20, 2017 at 11:51 am (7 years ago)

Brava! Fabulous limericks. We certainly need humor, and lots of it, these days. I have new respect for the investigative journalists who are holding this administration accountable. The pen is always mightier than the sword.

May 20, 2017 at 8:36 pm (7 years ago)

I agree. The journalists are on top of things these days. Like you, I have a new and growing respect for them and for the power of the pen!

3. Michelle Heidenrich Barnes
    May 20, 2017 at 8:22 am (7 years ago)

Just what the doctor ordered, Kay. Thanks!

May 20, 2017 at 8:35 pm (7 years ago)

Thank you!

4. Tabatha
    May 20, 2017 at 8:11 am (7 years ago)

I like your optimism about cleaning up his mess and being beat. Fingers crossed!!

May 20, 2017 at 8:35 pm (7 years ago)

I hope we can clean up the mess! I do have confidence in the people of our country who want better.

5. Mary Lee Hahn
    May 20, 2017 at 6:14 am (7 years ago)

Thanks for the laughs! We need to keep poking fun at 45. (Along with investigating and de-throning!)

May 20, 2017 at 8:34 pm (7 years ago)

I think humor just might be one of our best weapons.

6. Violet N.
    May 19, 2017 at 10:20 pm (7 years ago)

Your clever limericks gave me a chuckle!

May 20, 2017 at 8:33 pm (7 years ago)

Thank you!

7. Kiesha Shepard
    May 19, 2017 at 3:57 pm (7 years ago)

Laughter soothes, doesn’t it? Thank you for sharing your limerick, Kay!

May 19, 2017 at 7:08 pm (7 years ago)

Yes, indeed. I am thankful for the laughter that soothes.

8. Carol Varsalona
    May 19, 2017 at 9:48 am (7 years ago)

Humor is what you brought us, Kay. Thank you for your limerick that brings a smile to my face and an added jab at what is happening in the world.

May 19, 2017 at 7:08 pm (7 years ago)

I’m glad it brought a smile for you!

9. Irene Latham
    May 19, 2017 at 8:07 am (7 years ago)

Ha! Limericks are definitely good medicine. And beauty. Hard to feel bad about anything when standing on a lake shore or in the shade of an oak…. wishing you comfort and joy!

May 19, 2017 at 7:07 pm (7 years ago)

Yes, I have been trying to get a regular dose of beauty and nature as well. Poetry also helps.

10. Brenda Harsham
    May 19, 2017 at 8:04 am (7 years ago)

I’m glad I’m not the only one reading the news with horror. I feared all of this, and having to watch it all coming to pass is like a nightmare coming to life. The monster is out from under the bed. I hope he realizes that how he feels now is how he made Hillary feel during the election. Kharma comes for everyone.

May 19, 2017 at 7:06 pm (7 years ago)

It is like a nightmare. I keep hoping we will wake up from it–especially those supporters who just blame the media for lying when they hear something they don’t like.

May 19, 2017 at 6:50 am (7 years ago)

Thank you! Staying busy does help–so does writing about it all.

11. Jane @ Raincity Librarian
    May 18, 2017 at 10:51 pm (7 years ago)

There are times when I just have to unplug and bury my nose in a book, just to get me through each new news release. The world just feels like it’s spinning out of control sometimes, and it’s all too easy to feel powerless. But we’re not powerless – we might not be able to change the world, but we can each do our part. Keep on calling, writing, emailing, and expressing yourself and your outrage in poetry – you’re making a difference.

May 19, 2017 at 6:50 am (7 years ago)

It is hard to know when to look away and when to stay plugged in. I’m trying to find the right balance and to keep speaking out.

12. Linda Baie
    May 18, 2017 at 10:30 pm (7 years ago)

I’m thankful for the press and love the limericks. Perhaps you should send them to one of your favorite news sites?

May 19, 2017 at 6:48 am (7 years ago)

Thank you. I’ll have to consider sharing them with a news source. I’m almost afraid to do so locally because of the backlash.

13. Linda Mitchell
    May 18, 2017 at 6:47 pm (7 years ago)

Feeling similarly. I love the limericks! They do make me laugh…..and yes, I have a stack of postcards. Maybe I can get 3-4 written tonight. You inspire me to give it a go.

May 19, 2017 at 6:48 am (7 years ago)

I am so glad they gave you a laugh! Laughter is needed this week. Good luck writing your poetry postcards!