It’s Monday! What are you reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme started by Sheila at Book Journey and now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date. Kellee and Rikki at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist. It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next. Join up with us and discover what good books other people are reading.

IMWAYR 2015

It’s starting to feel real. This week we have begun the countdown for graduation (for my daughter). My mom has been here for the week to celebrate with us at the Academic Banquet that honors the top 20 seniors and top 10 students in the other classes. Then this weekend we shopped for graduation party supplies and got the invitations and announcements ready to put in the mail. I find it hard to believe that my girl will graduate from high school at the end of this month. It seemed just like yesterday she walked up by herself to the first day of kindergarten.

I finished…

Enough Bull by David Trahair – While this book had some good advice for retirement planning, I found it disappointing overall. That may be primarily because he focuses on Canadian tax retirement issues, which don’t transfer directly to the U.S. He focuses on safety above all, and the warnings against taking on debt to invest in high risk options applies across all borders. I’m just willing to take on a little more risk than only government insured accounts.

I’m currently reading…

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett – A long time ago when I first started teaching, a student told me about Pratchett’s Disc World novels. I thought they sounded incredible, but never got around to reading any. I grabbed Going Postal from the library and am loving it. Moist Van Lipwig has never done an honest day’s work in his life, but when drops through a trapdoor with a noose around his neck, he lands in a government job with the postal service. For some strange reason, he takes on the challenge of restoring the post office to a functional service–despite having little help, sliding down mounds of letters (that may be talking to him) and taking on the evil clacks conglomerate. I love the surreal world where things that shouldn’t make sense almost do. I will be going back for more Pratchett. Does anyone know, do I need to read the Disc World books in order, or can I dive in and out however I find them?

Coming up…

I still have Night Circus on my stack, as well as Big Magic. More good reading coming my way!  What have you read this week?

Disclosure: I participate in the Amazon Associates Program. If you decide to make a purchase by clicking on the affiliate links, including in the linked picture above. Amazon will pay me a commission. This commission doesn’t cost you any extra. All opinions are my own.

14 Comments on It’s Monday! What are you reading?

1. euro2016
    May 5, 2016 at 1:35 am (8 years ago)

congrats

latest football news and update you can find here regularly
    if u love football this web site is for u http://euro2016indonesia.com/

Reply
  2. Myra from GatheringBooks
    May 3, 2016 at 11:43 pm (8 years ago)

I have quite a number of Terry Pratchett’s novels – but still waiting until I have ALL of them (I wonder if that will be within my lifetime) before I start reading (excuses excuses). I did read The Colour of Magic and loathed it. Hopefully the other books in the series would be better.

Reply
  3. Kellee from Unleashing Readers (@kelleemoye)
    May 2, 2016 at 9:02 pm (8 years ago)

Congratulations on the graduation!!!
    I do not know any of these books except The Night Circus which is beautiful. Enjoy!

Happy reading this week 🙂

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      May 2, 2016 at 9:10 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks! I’m looking forward to it since I’ve heard so many good things about it

Reply
  4. Cheriee Weichel
    May 2, 2016 at 8:10 pm (8 years ago)

Congratulations on your daughter’s retirement. Pratchett has all kinds of miniseries within his Discworld books. The Tiffany Aching ones are my favourite, but I am partial to all of his witches. I think the Aching series would be best read in order, but can’t say much about the rest. I plan to read everything he has written as soon as I retire!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      May 2, 2016 at 9:09 pm (8 years ago)

I’m looking forward to many more of his books!

Reply
  5. Linda Baie
    May 2, 2016 at 4:58 pm (8 years ago)

I don’t know the Pratchett.books, but former students loved anything by him. Thanks for pointing this out, Kay. I still need to “open” Big Magic, & hope to sometime. I just saw Maggie Stiefvater speak last Sat. & am reading the final book in her Raven series, which I’ve loved. Lots of great books available!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      May 2, 2016 at 7:05 pm (8 years ago)

I’m doubly jealous–that you got to hear Stiefvaater and that you have the last Raven Boys book. I love the series, but will wait till our library gets it before I read it.

Reply
  6. Jane
    May 2, 2016 at 12:13 pm (8 years ago)

YES!! I adore the Discworld series – welcome to this wonderful series! You don’t have to read them in order, though there are repeated characters (especially in the City Watch series). There are so many wonderful books that will have you laughing out loud, and a few that might even bring a tear to your eyes (Reaper Man is a particular favourite – very sweet). Enjoy!!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      May 2, 2016 at 1:05 pm (8 years ago)

I am enjoying my first one. I suspect these books will keep me a happy reader for quite some time.

Reply
  7. Mary
    May 2, 2016 at 11:35 am (8 years ago)

I love Terry Prachett! Have you read Good Omens it’s a book he co-wrote with Neil Gaiman it had me laughing out loud to the point I was in tears, and I don’t think many books that are about the apocalypse can do that.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      May 2, 2016 at 1:05 pm (8 years ago)

No I haven’t yet. I’ll look for it on my next library trip!

Reply
  8. Ricki Ginsberg
    May 2, 2016 at 9:40 am (8 years ago)

I haven’t read The Night Circus, but I’ve read many of the children’s books that everyone compares to it. I liked Circus Mirandus a lot, and folks say they are similar in their excellence. 🙂

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      May 2, 2016 at 1:04 pm (8 years ago)

Circus Mirandus is another book I want to read!

Reply