It’s Monday! What are you reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme started by Sheila at Book Journey and now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date. Kellee and Rikki at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist. It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next. Join up with us and discover what good books other people are reading.

IMWAYR 2015

I did a lot of driving this week, especially down back roads through the country. One day I came across this beautiful old covered bridge. The road no longer crosses the creek, but the bridge still stands over it. We haven’t made much progress with the chicken coop since the weather turned cold and wet. Hopefully things will dry out and warm up so we can continue painting and finishing it up.

IMG_20160304_121659867 (1)

I finished…

Stranded by Lorena McCourtney – Another adventure with Ivy Malone and her new friend Abilene. When their RV breaks down in Hello, Colorado, Ivy ends up being invited to stay in the house where a murder recently occurred. Even though the town is convinced that Hiram’s niece Kelly did him in, Ivy is not so sure. Before long her curiosity gene leads her to more suspects than she can count. As she searches for clues, she finds more and more secrets revealed. And there might even be love in the crisp mountain air, too!

Four Mile by Watt Key – I’ve been putting off reading this book even though I loved Key’s first book, Alabama Moon. Looking at the cover and reading the blurb on the back, I suspected this would be a sad book. It was sad in many parts, but I also found it inspiring and hopeful. Foster and his mom have not been able to keep up with the farm since his dad’s death. The cows have been sold, the barn roof is leaking, the hay is molding. Foster is afraid of his mother’s boyfriend, Dax, too. Then a stranger comes walking up the road who offers Foster the first glimmer of hope he’s felt in a long time. The stranger–a former Iraq soldier–mentors Foster and offers protection from Dax. It’s not long before resentment simmers and then explodes. I don’t read enough Westerns to make the connection myself, but the author’s note in the back explained that Key wanted to write a modern story using the structure of traditional Westerns–complete with a shootout at the end.

I’m currently reading…

John: The Gospel of Light and Life by Adam Hamilton – In our Bible study last week we discussed the I Am sayings of Jesus–what powerful metaphors still today. Our discussion explored the many ways to experience Jesus as the bread of life. This week’s readings focus on Jesus’s last words to his disciples. Again, much to ponder.

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini – I finally gave in and grabbed the last book in the Eragon series. I enjoyed the first three, but gave up when the trilogy turned into four books (and took awhile for that last one to be published). I’ve just gotten started, but I am glad it begins with a summary of the story from the first three books. It’s been awhile since I’ve read them, and the summary was just enough to call back to mind the major characters and events. This one starts with a bang–right in the middle of battle.

My America: A Poetry Atlas of the United States, selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins and illustrated by Stephen Alcorn – I finally got back to reading these poems. I enjoyed my poetic tour of the mountain states. Now I’m headed to the Southwest. It’s amazing how a few lines can evoke such strong images and feelings tied to particular places.

Coming up…

I did make it to the library this week. Here is the stack of books I came home with.

IMG_20160305_070456483

The Secret Chord (King David) by Geraldine Brooks – Sinner (more Cole and Isabel from the Shiver series) by Maggie Stiefvater – Ten (modern retelling of Agatha Christie’s Ten Little Indians) by Gretchen McNeil – Inheritance (dragons) by Christopher Paolini

What have you read this week?

Disclosure: I participate in the Amazon Associates Program. If you decide to make a purchase by clicking on the affiliate links, including in the linked picture above. Amazon will pay me a commission. This commission doesn’t cost you any extra. All opinions are my own.

8 Comments on It’s Monday! What are you reading?

1. Ricki Ginsberg
    March 8, 2016 at 12:26 am (8 years ago)

That covered bridge is beautiful! It is the perfect setting for a book! I am sorry the chicken coop progress has stalled because of the weather, but I am excited to hear about spring!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 8, 2016 at 8:37 am (8 years ago)

I did hear from a guy in my church who had some stories about swimming by the bridge when he was a kid! We have made good progress on the coop the last couple of days. We should be ready for chickens in May.

Reply
  2. Crystal
    March 7, 2016 at 11:55 pm (8 years ago)

I love those old bridges – so glad you included the picture. The Eragon series wasn’t my absolute favorite, but I did enjoy it overall.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 8, 2016 at 8:36 am (8 years ago)

Seeing the bridge took my breath away. I stopped in the middle of the road (granted, a very quiet country road) to take the picture. I’m the same way about Eragon. I like the story but it’s not my favorite.

Reply
  3. Kellee from Unleashing Readers (@kelleemoye)
    March 7, 2016 at 10:12 pm (8 years ago)

I loved the one Hopkins book I’ve read, and Atlas looks interesting!
    Cannot wait until you start back up with the chickens! I want to see pictures 🙂

Happy reading this week!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 8, 2016 at 8:35 am (8 years ago)

The Hopkins book would be a great addition for a class studying the United States history and geography. I’m itching to write my own place poems after reading these. Good news–we’ve made much progress on the chicken coop!

Reply
  4. Jane
    March 7, 2016 at 5:33 pm (8 years ago)

I read the first of the Eragon books and quite enjoyed it, but for some reason I never ended up picking up the other titles in the books. I probably should, one of these days!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 7, 2016 at 6:11 pm (8 years ago)

I enjoy the story and am glad I picked up the last one. So far so good. I do remember that the second one had quite a bit of repetition in the beginning. That’s not all bad when it’s been so long since I’ve read the first ones!

Reply