It’s Monday! What are you reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme started by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee and Rikki at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist. It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next. Join up with us and discover what good books other people are reading.

IMWAYR 2015

Last night we had my kind of Super Bowl party. Along with the good food, my daughter and her friends spent as much time talking about books as they did about the game. Actually, the conversation was quite wide-ranging, but not very much focused on the game (except for my husband and daughter who actually followed most of the action and the conversation). And, of course, we all enjoyed the halftime show!

This week I am also jumping into a poetry challenge offered by Laura Shovan: 2016 Found Object Poem Project. You can read the introduction to it here and and find the images for this week’s poems here. I missed the first week, but did write a poem for Poetry Friday:

I finished…

Nothing! You’ll see why (or at least partly) when you see the list of books I’m in the middle of. It’s been one of those weeks that I flit from book to book without settling on any for very long.

I’m currently reading…

Learning to Walk in the Dark by Barbara Brown Taylor – The chapters I read this week described Taylor’s practical experiences with darkness as well as what she learned from reading works by those who live in darkness. She describes restaurants that invite people to dine in total darkness. She was able to encounter darkness through Dialogue in the Dark, where blind guides lead participants through a simulation of daily life in total darkness. She also experienced the dark in a wild cave and shared the writings of Lusseyran, a blind fighter in the French Resistance. I am intrigued by the idea that our sight might blind us to things that are important and that light and darkness are as much within us as in the world without.

Keeping the Sabbath Wholly by Marva J. Dawn – I’m reading the last section this week–Feasting. I love that Dawn is stretching my understanding of Sabbath to much more than just prohibitions against “work,” but it is an invitation to experience rest and joy–and to be a force against the prevailing cultural values of greed and busy-ness and accomplishment.

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater – We weren’t able to read much this week since I was gone for three nights (and we had a Super Bowl party another night), but we are nearing the end. I’m looking forward to reading the last chapters with her. Then we’ll see if she will pursue the rest of the series for herself.

Raising Chickens for Dummies by Kimberly Willis and Rob Ludlow – I didn’t read as much in the book except to go back and check information on how much space chickens need in their shelter and run and refer back to other specific information. I did, however, get to tour a couple of chicken coops to see how they are set up. My husband and I have decided we may be overthinking things, and are eager to start building. We found some old fence panels we can use for a run, and are busy sketching out plans.

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa – A friend of my daughter’s lent this to her, and of course, I had to take a peek since I have heard nothing but rave reviews. Now I get it. I was hooked from the first page and can’t resist sneaking in a few more pages every chance I get.  I am captivated by the world of the faeries and Puck and most of all, Meghan Chase herself.

My America: A Poetry Atlas of the United States, selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins and illustrated by Stephen Alcorn – I finished my tour of the Midwest and have moved onto the Plains states. While some poems are clear about which state they describe, others are more general to the region. Even so, each poem offers a glimpse of life tied to a particular place.

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates – I finally received notification  that the audio book was ready from my public library through Overdrive. The audio book is very intimate as Coates is reading the letter he wrote to his son, but I’m afraid I am missing much as I listen. It is giving me much to think about, but I want to find a print copy to read as well so that I can better pause and ponder.

After Alice by Gregory Maguire  – I found this waiting for me at the library. I’m having a hard time getting into this one, but that may be more to my state of mind each time I’ve sat down to read–or it may also be due in part to the disjointed nature of Wonderland where inexplicable things happen to Ada as she searches for her friend Alice. I am growing to like Ada, but I don’t have as much patience when the story switches to Lydia, Alice’s older sister stuck above ground.

Coming up…

I think I need to focus on one (or at least narrow down to a few) of the books I’m in the middle of. Which book will I finish first? Which one will a savor the longest?

Disclosure: I participate in the Amazon Associates Program. If you decide to make a purchase by clicking on the affiliate links, including in the linked picture above. Amazon will pay me a commission. This commission doesn’t cost you any extra. All opinions are my own.

12 Comments on It’s Monday! What are you reading?

1. Ricki @ Unleashing Readers
    February 9, 2016 at 9:58 pm (8 years ago)

Overthinking chickens? Impossible! 🙂 When the chicken updates are over, my life will turn dark and gray.
    I read and loved Between the World and Me, but I can’t imagine enjoying it as much as an audio book. I read it in 10 pages segments and slowly because it was so dense and thought-provoking. I look forward to hearing your final review of the audio. I bet that intimacy provides a layer that is equally important.

February 10, 2016 at 4:18 pm (8 years ago)

I hope to have updates with our own, real, live chickens soon! It is an intimate experience to listen to Coates read aloud his books. I feel like I’m privileged to listen in, but I will need to read a print copy, too. It is dense, and I know I’m missing much.

2. Myra from GatheringBooks
    February 9, 2016 at 12:19 am (8 years ago)

Gregory Maguire is always a hit or miss for me. I read Wicked after watching the play in San Francisco – and it was such a major major struggle to get through. I do hope I would enjoy his other novels, which I still collect for future reading.

February 9, 2016 at 9:35 am (8 years ago)

I was surprised by my reaction to After Alice because I loved the other books by Maguire, especially Wicked and the books that follow. Now that I’m halfway through, I am enjoying it more. It just took me a while to settle into this world.

3. Kellee from Unleashing Readers (@kelleemoye)
    February 8, 2016 at 9:02 pm (8 years ago)

I love hearing about the chicken updates each week! I cannot wait to see pictures of your chickens!

Happy reading this week 🙂

February 8, 2016 at 9:29 pm (8 years ago)

We need a break from snow and cold so we can start building the coop!

4. Linda Baie
    February 8, 2016 at 7:27 pm (8 years ago)

I’m glad you’re going to join Laura’s challenge, Kay. It is very fun. The darkness book sounds so interesting. There are other books touching on the history of how the dark affected our lives, and slowly the availability of light changed us again. I took a class once that led us through experiences simulating different disabilities, and one afternoon/evening, we paired up (the next time also) & one of us was blindfolded for the entire time. It felt very isolating within the group, but I did begin to learn how to gain some attention & communicate. I’ve never forgotten that experience. I loved Coates’ book, you do need a copy. I wrote so much in it. And thanks for the heads up about The Iron King-sounds good!

February 8, 2016 at 8:15 pm (8 years ago)

The pictures for the challenge are haunting–at least I have a hard time getting them out of my head, but in the best way. They make me wonder. I’ve done brief times being blindfolded, but am intrigued by experiencing darkness after reading. I definitely want a copy of Coates’ book to read.

5. Jane
    February 8, 2016 at 3:20 pm (8 years ago)

I really struggle with focusing on just one book at a time – I have a pretty short attention span (“ooh! A sparkly!”), so I find I just get too bored if I try and read only one book at a time. The challenge, of course, is remembering where I left off and trying to get back up to speed again, especially in fantasy novels where there are typically a whole host of characters with unusual yet typically similar names (Sauron and Saruman? Really?)…

February 8, 2016 at 6:05 pm (8 years ago)

I’ve always read multiple books–I just pick up whatever book is closest in whatever room I’m in. I usually don’t have too much trouble keeping plots and characters apart, but I agree about some of those fantasy novels.

6. Hannahlily
    February 8, 2016 at 1:28 pm (8 years ago)

Flitting from book to book is my general state of reading, so I completely understand your week! It looks like you’re in the middle of some great books right now.

February 8, 2016 at 6:04 pm (8 years ago)

I’ve always read more than one book, but this week is even excessive for me! They are all good books.