Poetry Friday: In Defiance of Snow

Each Friday, I am excited to take part in Poetry Friday, where writers share their love of all things poetry. Tricia Stohr-Hunt has the Poetry Friday Roundup today at The Miss Rumphius Effect. Drop by and see what poetry morsels are offered this week.

poetry-friday-1-1

After a mild start, winter has arrived in the Midwest. We’ve had some warm days sprinkled through January and February, but we’ve also been dusted with snow several times. Now snow is back in the forecast early next week. Don’t get me wrong, I still get excited when the snowflakes begin to swirl, and would feel cheated out of winter if we had now snow at all, but I get just as excited about the first signs of spring.

Yesterday, I was surprised to see the green blades of daffodils already poking through the earth underneath the tree in the backyard. Even though the tree branches are still bare and more winter weather is on the way, spring is coming. I wrote this haiku to remember:

Green blades slice skyward

through cold, dark earth, defying

clouds that threaten snow.

shoots

6 Comments on Poetry Friday: In Defiance of Snow

1. Myra from GatheringBooks
    February 8, 2016 at 10:32 pm (8 years ago)

For a tropical child like me, I love reading your poems about winter – it allows me to experience the season vicariously.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      February 10, 2016 at 4:19 pm (8 years ago)

I’m glad you like it. Last week we had daffodils poking up. Today is snow and bitter cold.

Reply
  2. Carol
    February 6, 2016 at 10:58 am (8 years ago)

I love, love, love this time of year when I can start thinking toward my favorite season. We had a foot of snow on Tuesday. I wonder if the daffodils are under there.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      February 6, 2016 at 11:10 am (8 years ago)

I hope the daffodils are snug under their blanket of snow. Ours may have to wait out another snow or two before they bloom.

Reply
  3. Mary Lee
    February 6, 2016 at 8:59 am (8 years ago)

The lengthening days have me pushing up green shoots of hopefulness!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      February 6, 2016 at 11:11 am (8 years ago)

Yea! The days are getting longer even if it still seems dark and cold.

Reply