It’s Monday! What are you reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist. It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next. Join up with us and discover what good books other people are reading.

image

It’s been a busy couple of weeks since we returned from vacation. My daughter is getting back into the swing of school and soccer, and I’m trying to savor every moment of her senior year. We are also enjoying lots of veggies from the garden, so I am busy canning and freezing and storing up lots of good things to eat through the winter. In between moments, I am finding time to read, of course!

I finished…

Amazon affiliate link

The Living by Matt de la Pena – Oh my! That ending had me racing faster and faster as I listened. I loved that I could predict a few of the bigger picture things. (I had my suspicions about the disease from the time the guy jumped overboard), but de la Pena surprised me with most of the details. I am definitely looking forward to seeing the rest of the story unfold and follow these characters through the next book.

Amazon affiliate link

The Gospel According to Harry Potter by Connie Neal – I picked this up thinking it was a different book dealing with Harry Potter and Christianity (one I had read before the last book came out and wanted to see the writer’s take on the last book), but I once I started reading I realized this one was a different one–that I hadn’t read. I enjoyed revisiting the series and seeing her “glimpses of the Gospel,” but it lacked the depth I was looking for. I do remember when the books first became popular that I taught students who weren’t allowed to read them, but that wasn’t as much of an issue later on. I do like her main point that readers can often find whatever they are looking for in a particular book.

I’m currently reading

Amazon affiliate link

What Have You Lost edited by Naomi Shihab Nye – Of course, I’m still reading it! Many of the poems this week were about loss of family or loved ones. They hit me a little harder as my daughter starts her senior year. I know I won’t really be losing her next year, but our lives will definitely be different without her in the house. There will be many things I miss.

Amazon affiliate link

Soul Feast by Marjorie Thompson – I have so much to think about while reading this one. It is definitely a book I read with pen in hand. I also get a lot from discussing it with our group at church. I’m glad to know I’m not alone in my struggles to live my faith and practice the presence of God. Last week we discussed prayer and confession–both areas that I find difficult. This week we’re reading about worship and companionship.

Amazon affilaite link

The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger, narrated by Richard Davidson – After listening to The Living, I decided to stay with the monster storm theme and listen to the Sync YA title that was paired with it. I think I can safely say I’m glad I don’t make my living by fishing as sea. I’m especially glad I’m not stuck on a boat in the ocean in the middle of a huge storm. I am fascinated with the details and stories that Junger weaves together in this book.

Coming up…

I have several good reads to finish. Then I’m diving into one of the many stacks I have lying around the house. I’ll keep you posted next week!

I hope you have a great reading week. What have you read that’s good? What do you recommend?

Disclosure: I participate in the Amazon Associates Program. If you decide to make a purchase by clicking on the affiliate links, Amazon will pay me a commission. This commission doesn’t cost you any extra. All opinions are my own.

4 Comments on It’s Monday! What are you reading?

1. Myra from GatheringBooks
    August 20, 2015 at 10:56 am (9 years ago)

Matt de la Pena sounds like a powerful writer – I should check out his books very soon.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      August 24, 2015 at 8:13 am (9 years ago)

My only regret is that I waited this long to read any of his books!

Reply
  2. Kellee @ UnleashingReaders.com
    August 17, 2015 at 9:26 pm (9 years ago)

Didn’t de la Pena do a great job?!?! I am so mad at myself that I haven’t read The Hunted yet. By the time I get to it, I may need to reread The Living–good to hear the audio is good.

Happy beginning of the year to your daughter!
    Happy reading this week 🙂

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      August 18, 2015 at 8:40 am (9 years ago)

Yes, he did! I am definitely looking for The Hunted to see what comes next.

Reply