It’s Monday! What are you reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey.  Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist.  It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next.  Join up with us and discover what good books other people  are reading.

image

Rain, rain go away. I’m beginning to think we should get out the canoes for our transportation around the county. At least I have had time to read while listening to the patter of raindrops on the roof. I also learned to check out library books on my phone through the Overdrive app. Now I will never be without something to read–at least as long as I have cell service. On the downside, iTunes on my computer has quit communicating with Overdrive and the iTunes store, so I am unable to transfer any audiobooks to my iPod to listen to. Arrgg! I hate it when I can’t figure out technology. I love it when it works.

Blogs I posted this week…

I finished…

Amazon affiliate link

The Runaway King by Jennifer Nielson – Jaron/Sage is just as smart (and smart alek) as he goes to the pirates to try to stop a war that will destroy his kingdom. When I read the title, I was worried that Jaron was running away from his duty as king since he didn’t want it, but I should have known Jaron would never run away. No, he goes on this mission alone because he doesn’t know who he can trust among his regents. There is a traitor–or more–among them still. Unfortunately, he also pushes away his friends, but they refuse to leave him.

Amazon affiliate link

The Shadow Throne by Jennifer Nielson – Once again Jaron finds himself backed into a situation that there seems to be no way out of…and once (or twice or more) he outsmarts both his friends and his enemies. The ending to this trilogy was even more exciting that the first two books, and I’m still trying to figure out Nielson’s genius in creating the character of Jaron and plotting all the twists and turns that lead to the stunning finale. I am glad that Jaron finally began to trust his friends. There is no way he could have won this war on his on.

I’m currently reading…

Amazaon affiliate link

What Have You Lost edited by Naomi Shihab Nye – Such loss and heartbreak in this week’s poems. The poems that struck me this week remind me that sometimes it is my own choices that create loss, and sometimes that’s not all bad.

Amazon affiliate link

Beastly by Alex Flinn – We read a few chapters, but late nights and weekend trips (by my daughter) kept us from getting too far. Kyle is not coming to terms well with his new look.

Amazon affiliate link

The Mission Song by John Le Carre – I got distracted by shiny new books this week, but I did read a little more. Salvo is thrown into a situation where he is asked to both use and hide his language skills. He’s trying to figure out the context of what is happening, but no one is forthcoming with much information.

Coming up…

I want to finish the books I’m reading before school starts in a few short weeks. I know once homework and soccer practice hits, we won’t have much time to read together before bed.

What books have you been reading this week?

Disclosure: I participate in the Amazon Associates Program. If you decide to make a purchase by clicking on the affiliate links, Amazon will pay me a commission. This commission doesn’t cost you any extra. All opinions are my own.

15 Comments on It’s Monday! What are you reading?

1. Myra from GatheringBooks
    July 28, 2015 at 12:03 am (9 years ago)

I enjoyed reading Jennifer Nielsen’s trilogy early last year – it was a fun adventurous read that would be appealing to a lot of young readres.

2. Ricki Ginsberg
    July 20, 2015 at 11:17 pm (9 years ago)

I never finished Beastly, but I like many, many of Flinn’s books. I think it just wasn’t the right time for me. Perhaps I should try it again! I look forward to your thoughts at the end.

July 21, 2015 at 8:18 am (9 years ago)

I’m not enjoying Beastly as much as I have other Flinn books. I think it’s because Kyle is such an unlikable character at the beginning. I also read Lindy’s Story (same story, but from her point of view and enjoyed it), so I think it’s Kyle. He is just beginning to change, so I think Imight enjoy the second half more.

3. Kellee Moye (@kelleemoye)
    July 20, 2015 at 9:59 pm (9 years ago)

Everyone loves Jennifer Neilsen. I should probably jump on the bandwagon 🙂 My students RAVE about that series. (I just haven’t gotten to it yet; not avoiding it.)
    SH about school starting. I still have a LONG to do list and so much I want to do with Trent!
    And good luck with Overdrive/iTunes!!!

Happy reading this week! 🙂

July 21, 2015 at 8:16 am (9 years ago)

I know the feeling about not getting to books I want to read. So many books….

4. Cheriee Weichel
    July 20, 2015 at 7:08 pm (9 years ago)

I sure wish you could send some rain to us here in Vancouver BC. We are having one of driest summers on record. I have an overdrive app on my iphone and ipad that enables me to download audiobooks and ebooks directly to them. I’m not sure if you can get apps for your ipod though. I enjoyed the The False Prince, but it seems to me that the series deteriorated with each new title.

July 20, 2015 at 7:12 pm (9 years ago)

We have plenty of rain to share! I think I’m going to like the Overdrive app on my phone, but my iPod (an ancient Nano) has to connect with iTunes on my computer to transfer things over.

5. Linda Baie
    July 20, 2015 at 4:41 pm (9 years ago)

I love the Nielsen books and Naomi Nye is always a pleasure, isn’t she? I went back to read your review of Rose Under Fire. I loved it, too, and Code Name Verity, have shared & recommended them both a lot. Thanks, Kay!

July 20, 2015 at 6:55 pm (9 years ago)

Both writers are fantastic! I’m afraid I’m guilty of pushing both Verity and Rose on unsuspecting readers.

6. Chris
    July 20, 2015 at 11:21 am (9 years ago)

I love that you are reading three books at one time, as I am at the moment! It does help when they are of different genres, I’ve found; less likely to confuse characters/ storylines.

July 20, 2015 at 11:32 am (9 years ago)

Chris, I have always read multiple books at a time. For some reason my brain has no trouble keeping them straight while I’m reading them, though I might confuse parts of them later.

7. Ms. Yingling
    July 20, 2015 at 11:20 am (9 years ago)

Nye is amazing! I loved her novel, Habibi, and her book of Poems for Girls (A-maze Me) has a poem in it that makes me cry every time I read it! Interestingly, someone LOST What Have You Lost and I need to replace it!

July 20, 2015 at 11:33 am (9 years ago)

Oh no! At least you can teach some irony with the loss of What have You Lost!

8. Angie
    July 20, 2015 at 10:51 am (9 years ago)

Oh, I love Jennifer Nielsen’s books! Glad you also enjoyed them.

July 20, 2015 at 11:33 am (9 years ago)

Aren’t they amazing? I can’t wait to read what she has next.