It’s Monday! What are you reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey.  Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist.  It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next.  Join up with us and discover what good books other people  are reading.

image

Blog Posts this week:

I finished…

IMG_20150617_100207413_HDR

Outside the West Lafayette Public Library

Not a single book! As you can see below, I’m in the middle of quite a few books. I also had several new magazines come in for me to read (often cover to cover in one or two sittings). I went on a road trip with my daughter to West Lafayette where she got to job shadow a chemist at a company that makes polymers. While she watched chemists at work, I explored the local public library. I suspect I will finish quite a few books I’m reading next week.

I’m currently reading…

Amazon affiiate

What Have You Lost edited by Naomi Shihab Nye – a few more poems of loss and grief. I’m glad I’m reading these slowly. It would be too much to take in all at once. But with each one I’m amazed at the ability of the poet to take a moment of loss and grief and transform it into something that has great beauty as well as great pain.

Amazon affiliate

Undivided by Neal Shusterman – There is so much to think about in this book. Right now I’m at the point where it seems there is no way out for our heroes who are trying to bring an end to the practice of unwinding. I can’t see any way out, but I will hang on until the end.

Amazon affiliate

Cruel Beauty by  Rosamund Hodge, narrated by Elizabeth Knowelden – I love Nyx. She is angry and resentful–and resourceful and stubborn and not at all sure of her own mind. Who can blame her? Nothing is what it seems in the castle of the Gentle Lord. Who is really the demon? Who can be trusted?

Amazon affiliate

The False Prince by Jennifer Neilson – This is the new read aloud with my daughter. It’s another book I wanted her to read (because I knew she would like it. She says she wants to find books on her own.) I must have been right because I caught her sneaking ahead with reading it Sunday morning. Maybe I should just read a few chapters aloud and then switch to the next book I think she would like.

Amazon affiliate

Revealed by Margaret Peterson Haddix – My daughter actually checked this one out of the library, but we have both kept up with the series. Haddix is bad for ending each of the books on a cliffhanger. I’m just excited because I don’t have to wait for thirty-some volumes before finding out who Jonah is from history–unless there are any more surprises before the end. If you aren’t familiar with this series, Haddix does a fabulous job of combining science fiction time travel with historical fiction into heartpounding adventures.

Coming up…

Well, obviously I should finish some of these books I’ve started. I also picked up Landline by Rainbow Rowell from my last trip to the library, and I’m eager to start it.

Disclosure: I participate in the Amazon Associates Program. If you decide to make a purchase by clicking on the affiliate links, Amazon will pay me a commission. This commission doesn’t cost you any extra. All opinions are my own.

10 Comments on It’s Monday! What are you reading?

1. Myra from GatheringBooks
    June 23, 2015 at 10:55 pm (9 years ago)

I think I have quite a few Haddix novels that I haven’t even gotten around to reading yet. I am currently stuck with a book club book that I am struggling with (Naomi Klein’s This Changes Everything) so all the other books that I would rather read are shelved. Boo.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      June 24, 2015 at 8:23 am (9 years ago)

I’ve enjoyed all the Haddix books I’ve read–especially the sci-fi that isn’t so far out on spaceships and distant futures. I haven’t read This Changes Everything. I hope you get through it for your book club so you can get back to all those other books waiting for you!

Reply
  2. Ricki Ginsberg
    June 22, 2015 at 10:58 pm (9 years ago)

I go many weeks that I am juggling too many books and don’t finish any! We are just too curious that we can’t help but crack another cover. 🙂 I hope you have a great week, Kay!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      June 23, 2015 at 10:18 am (9 years ago)

I definitely fall for the curiosity–especially now that my daughter is bringing home books from the library to read over the summer. We usually enjoy many of the same books, and I keep “stealing” hers.

Reply
  3. Cheriee Weichel
    June 22, 2015 at 10:45 pm (9 years ago)

That teasing them with a taste is what I do in the library. I’m so glad you enjoyed Dodger and Blue Lily. I will have to get a copy of What Have You Lost. I do love Nye’s poetry, and you are right – it’s all about savouring poetry a bit at a time.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      June 23, 2015 at 10:17 am (9 years ago)

These are definitely poems to savor. Some of them are so heartbreaking I couldn’t read more than one at a time anyway.

Reply
  4. Kellee Moye (@kelleemoye)
    June 22, 2015 at 10:25 pm (9 years ago)

Love that she shadowed a chemist! So cool! So worth not finishing books 🙂
    And I definitely have weeks where I listen to podcasts and read magazines 🙂

I don’t know that Haddix book! I will have to find it. I own so many of hers in my classroom library.

Happy reading this week! 🙂

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      June 23, 2015 at 10:17 am (9 years ago)

She had a great time seeing what real chemists do at work. Check out the whole Missing series. I think it is some of Haddix’s best.

Reply
  5. Katie @ The Logonauts
    June 22, 2015 at 3:45 pm (9 years ago)

A mix between reading aloud and letting her finish books she loves sounds like a good compromise with your daughter. Who wants to stop kids from reading, especially during the summer? 🙂

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      June 22, 2015 at 5:28 pm (9 years ago)

That’s what I was thinking, but she thought the suggestion was evil!

Reply