Dodger by Terry Pratchett

Amazon affiliate link

A long time ago in a library far away from where I live now, I discovered the books of Charles Dickens. I devoured Oliver Twist and A Tale of Two Cities and David Copperfield and all the other books that lined that shelf. Yes, I was that teen who not only willingly read the classics assigned in class, but I also looked for them on the shelves for fun.

When SYNC YA offered Terry Pratchett’s Dodger (read by Stephen Briggs) as one of their free audio book downloads this summer, I was doubly excited. I had been introduced to Terry Pratchett by a long ago student who eagerly explained Discworld to me, but I never got around to reading any Pratchett boooks even though they sounded like my kind of book. And then, well, Dodger.

I was not disappointed. I love Pratchett’s Dodger. He is quite a rascal, but has a generous heart. He also has a knack for being in the right place at the right time. (Some might think it’s the wrong place at the wrong time when he goes for a shave from Sweeney Todd, but it always works out for Dodger.) His adventure begins when he comes up out of the sewer and finds two thugs beating a young woman. He fights off the thugs and can’t get the young woman out of his mind. As he earns her trust, he creates a plan for her escape from a deadly trap. Somehow he transforms from geezer tto hero with every adventure.

I enjoyed the secondary characters as much as I did Dodger. The mysterious young woman–known as Simplicity (though she is not simple at all) has as much spunk and nerve as Dodger. I want to know more about Solomon Cohen–the Jewish jeweler who took Dodger in and tries to keep him on the straight and narrow (or at least a straighter and narrower way than the streets might influence). I suspect Solomon has had quite a few adventures of his own.

Some of the characters are recognizalbe figures from literature and history. I already mentioned Sweeney Todd. Mr..Charles Dickens himself takes quite an interest in Dodger, though his constant scribbling makes Dodger nervous. I learned the inspiration behind several other characters from the author’s note at the end. (I love an auther whose author’s note on historical references and slang vocabluary can make me snort.) Charles Dickens’ friend Henry Mayhew and his wife care for simplicity. Dodger finds himself on the same side of the law as the “Peelers” or new cops under Robert Peel. Angela was indeed one of the most independent and wealthiest women in England. Even Benjamn Disreali makes an appearance or two (though he would have liked missing the tour through the sewers).

Dodger leads readers (or listeners) on a fun romp through Victorian England–especially the underbelly. I’m glad I don’t live on London’s streets and hunt for coins in the sewers, but I enjoyed visiting while I listened. Now I’m even more interested in exploring Discworld.

Disclosure: I participate in the Amazon Associates Program. If you decide to make a purchase by clicking on the affiliate links, Amazon will pay me a commission. This commission doesn’t cost you any extra. All opinions are my own.