It’s Monday! What are you reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey.  Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist.  It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next.  Join up with us and discover what good books other people  are reading.

image

Keeping up with PO-EMotion poetry challenge has been harder than I expected. I have been inspired by the poems I read from the others participating, and I am pleased with some of my efforts. I definitely find myself paying attention to the smallest details of life more than usual. I’m glad the week coming up has more positive emotions. I hope you enjoy some of the poems linked below. We survived a rainy, stormy week and then enjoyed brilliant sun this weekend. I spent every minute I could outside. And this was a week when I finished several of the books I have been reading for awhile.

This week’s poetry posts:

I finished…

Amazon affiliate link

Seabiscuit by Lauren Hillenbrand – Now that I’m done, I’m trying to wait patiently while my daughter reads it, but she probably won’t get into it until after finals next month. I do want to see how the movie compares to the book. I have not been this excited about reading a horse story since fourth grade when I accidentally cheered out loud during silent reading time while reading one of the Black Stallion books. I caught myself wanting to cheer out lood for Seabiscuit more than once.

Amazon affiliate link

Making Sense of the Bible by Adam Hamilton – This is another book I’m looking forward to sharing with my daughter. Even more than the thoughtful information shared, I appreciated Hamilton’s tone throughout the book. Hamilton explains the the scope of the Bible and the history of its writing with insight and warmth. It is not a dry, scholarly tome, but more like sitting over tea with a very smart friend. He states his opinions clearly and explains the thinking behind them, but respects fellow believers who draw different conclusions. In the second half of the book, Hamilton tackles many thorny questions about the Bible that too many people want to gloss over.

Amazon affiliate link

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett – Spring arrived in southern Indiana this week, and I couldn’t help revisiting this classic. I can’t count the number of times I have reread this book, and I still enjoy discovering spring on the English moor with Mary Lennox and Dickon and Colin.

Amazon affiliate link

By the Book: Writers on Literature and the Literary Life from The New York TImes Book Review edited by Pamela Paul – I’m finally saying goodbye to this one. I have thoroughly enjoyed meeting many writers and learning more about their reading habits and quirks. The last interviews this week were with Ann Patchett, Amy Tan, Bryan Cranston, Michael Connelly, Neil deGrasse Tyson, E.L. Doctorow, Chang-rae Lee, Gary Shteyngart and Rachel Kushner.

I’m currently reading…

Amazon affiliate link

What Have You Lost – edited by Naomi Shihab Nye – Each poem is a juicy morsel for me to chew on throughout the day. Some of the poems make me laugh in recognition, but most of them break my heart.

Amazon affiliate link

The Audience Revolution by Danny Ino – This is another volume in my efforts to learn more about copywriting and marketing. I do like his emphasis on serving your audience and focusing on their needs as the foundation for a business.

Coming up...

Amazon affiliate link

Wild Things: Acts of Mishief in Children’s Literature by Betsy Bird, Julie Danielson and Peter Sieruta – I have been looking forward to reading this one ever since I got it for Christmas. I am prepared to be entertained and even shocked. I hope it doesn’t disappoint. Now that I have finished By the Book, I can dive in.

Disclosure: I participate in the Amazon Associates Program. If you decide to make a purchase by clicking on the affiliate links, Amazon will pay me a commission. This commission doesn’t cost you any extra. All opinions are my own.

9 Comments on It’s Monday! What are you reading?

1. Myra from GatheringBooks
    April 15, 2015 at 7:04 am (9 years ago)

I am still going through By the Book and enjoying it immensely – some more than others of course. I’ve tried looking for Wild Things while in the US, but didn’t find it sadly. 🙁

2. Ricki Ginsberg
    April 13, 2015 at 8:52 pm (9 years ago)

I was just posting that I wanted to reread The Secret Garden! It seems like you had a great week. I hope this week proves just as fruitful. 🙂

April 14, 2015 at 8:11 am (9 years ago)

It is such a good book. I get something different from it each time I read it.

3. Cheriee Weichel
    April 13, 2015 at 8:28 pm (9 years ago)

I enjoyed reading your poetry, especially When I Was Young. I haven’t yet read What Have You Lost, but will have to find it as I love Naomi Shihab Nye’s work.

April 14, 2015 at 8:11 am (9 years ago)

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed the poems. Nye didn’t write the poems in this collection, but I enjoy the poems she selected–and learning new poets.

4. Linda Baie
    April 13, 2015 at 7:23 pm (9 years ago)

I just saw Wild Things on Beth’s post too, must look for that one. Happy you enjoyed Seabiscuit!

April 13, 2015 at 7:43 pm (9 years ago)

So far Wild Things is quite a romp!

5. Beth S.
    April 13, 2015 at 6:16 pm (9 years ago)

I can’t wait to hear what you think about Wild Things.

April 13, 2015 at 7:43 pm (9 years ago)

So far I am enjoying it. I can tell it’s going to be one of those books I drive my family crazy with by sharing frequently!