An explosion for the senses

November Picture Book Month may be drawing to a close, but I look forward to reading many  more picture books through the coming months. These last books are a feast for the senses that open new vistas past and present.

pecan pie babyPecan Pie Baby by Jacqueline Woodson, illustrated by Sophie Blackall (G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 2010) – If I liked pecans, I would be drooling for pecan pie by the end of this book. Gia is not too sure about the new baby brother or sister on the way. The more everyone else talks about it, the less sure she becomes. Fortunately, Mama knows how to hear and understand her fears. Life might still be as sweet as pecan pie in spite of that “ding dang baby.”

song for the whooping craneSong for the Whooping Crane by Eileen Spinelli, illustrated by Elsa Warnick (Eerdmans Books for Young Readers, 2000) – I have been interested in cranes ever since I visited the International Crane Foundation in Wisconsin on vacation. These magnificent birds have an amazing comeback story. Spinelli’s poetry and Warnick’s watercolors celebrate the beauty and grace of these birds as they migrate throughout the year.

elsies birdElsie’s Bird by Jane Yolen, and David Small (Philomel Books, 2010) – This book is an explosion of sound, from the city streets of Boston to the whispering winds of the Nebraska prairie. Elsie loves the busy city streets, but when her mother dies, her father decides they should move to Nebraska. Now Elsie’s world falls silent except for her pet canary, Timmy. One day Timmy flies out the window and Elsie chases him into the tall grass. Finally, her ears open to the new sounds that surround her new home. After reading this, I want to listen and capture the sounds of my world, too.

greenGreen by Laura Vaccaro Seeger (Roaring Brook Press, 2012) – I remember seeing the book trailer and reading rave reviews when this book first came out. Neither the trailer nor the reviews do this gem justice. The vibrant illustrations show green in all its glory, from forest green and sea green to wacky green and not green. My favorite part, though, are the cut outs on each page that reveal new surprises every time I flip the page.

amelia and eleanorAmelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride by Pam Munoz Ryan, pictures by Brian Selznick (Scholastic Press, 1999) – Someone (I wish I could remember who) from the It’s Monday! What Are You Reading! meme shared this book last week, and I knew I wanted to read it. I have long admired both Amelia Earhart and Eleanor Roosevelt. I can picture these two brave, strong women sneaking out for a late night flight and drive together. Both text and illustrations are captivating, and for the history buffs, the author’s note in the back explains the fact from fiction in the story. Yes, this picture book is inspired by a true story, but Ryan did take some liberties with the facts.