It’s Monday! What are you reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey.  Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Menor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist.  It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next.  Join up with us and discover what good books other people  are reading.

image

It’s been another whirlwind week. Our small town experienced a devastating fire on Friday. We weren’t personally affected, but it was hard to watch a city block in the historic district burn beyond repair. It will be a long time to recover and several families are now without homes. I have been proud of how our community has come together to meet this crisis, and I am sure we will continue to reach out to those affected.

I finished…

october mourningOctober Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard by Leslea Newman, narrated by Emily Beresford (and others who are not listed on the Overdrive blurb): Even though I had heard so much praise for this book, I have put off reading it. I know too many people who could have been in Matthew’s place, and I wasn’t sure I wanted to confront such violence. Then when SyncYA offered it for download, I added it to Overdrive, but I wasn’t sure how I would like listening to a book of poetry. How would I follow the structure of the poetry if I couldn’t see it? I needen’t have worried. By giving voice to the people, places, and things surrounding Matthew that night, Beresford explores his death with grace and sensitivity. Yes, I found tears streaming down my face as I shoveled snow and listened, but I also found hope and healing in her words. The multiple narrators brought each poem to life and clearly distinguished between titles, quotes before some poems, and the poems themselves. I would still like to see the poems on the page–and even better read while listening to them again. This is an important and powerful book that can open conversations.

girl who circumnavigated fairylandThe Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M.Valente – I love, love this book. I find myself wanting to copy down so many sentences that take my breath away. I love September as she takes the adventures that Fairyland offers and tries to do the right thing. The creatures are fantastical and captivating. I can’t wait to return.

I picked out 11 more picture books from the library. I also blogged about the 10 books I read last week: Picture books bring delight. Here are the books I read this week. I can’t wait to share them in a post later this week.

• Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride by Pam Munoz Ryan, illustrated by Brian Selzniicik
  • The Frog Prince Continued by Jon Scieszka, paintings by Steve Johnson
  • Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
  • Song of the Whooping Crane by Eileen Spinelli, illustrated by Elsa Warnick
  • The Dark by Lemony Snicket, illustrated by Jon Klassen
  • The Little Red Pen by Janet Stevens and Susan Stevens Crummel
  • Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg
  • Pecan Pie Baby by Jacqueline Woodson, illustrated by Sophie Blackall
  • Library Lil by Suzanne Williams, illustrated by Steven Kellog
  • Elsie’s Bird by Jane Yolen and David Small
  • The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf by Mark Teague

I’m reading…

les-miserablesLes Miserables by Victor Hugo – I’m at 94%! The happy couple is now married, and Grandfather may be the happiest of all. Jean Valjean had a fortuitous injury that prevented him from having to sign any paperwork. Poor Marius (when he’s not delirously happy in love) is trying to discover who saved him from the barricade. Hehe…I know!

summer of letting goThe Summer of Letting Go by Gae Polisner – A busy week and late nights of homework kept us from reading this week, but it’s still waitinf for us to finish.

freelancers bibleThe Freelancers’s Bible by Sara Horowitz – This is an invaluable resource for everything freelancers need to consider. This may be a book I have to buy for my reference library. It covers everything a freelancer needs to consider–much more than I had thought of on my own.

Coming up…

I don’t have anything planned for my reading this week. I’m staying open for seredipity and surprises over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Have you read anything good this week? What books are you taking along for your holiday reading?

5 Comments on It’s Monday! What are you reading?

1. Myra from GatheringBooks
    November 27, 2014 at 8:09 pm (9 years ago)

I enjoyed the first book in the Fairyland series as well. I agree that there are many exquisite phrases. 🙂 Two of my book clubs discussed this book this year. 🙂

Reply
  2. Cheriee Weichel
    November 24, 2014 at 10:18 pm (9 years ago)

A Song for Matthew Shepard sounds wonderful. Audiobooks are almost an addiction with me – or maybe it’s just that I want a story in my head all the time. Anyway, I’ll definitely try to find it. I loved the entire Valente series. Unfortunately, students at my elementary school just didn’t get into it. One teacher tried it as a read aloud, and still it didn’t work.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      November 25, 2014 at 9:52 am (9 years ago)

I highly recommend the audio book for October Mourning. It’s so well done. I think the Valent book might work better for older readers–especially those who are already well-read in fantasy. I has so much fun recognizing the tropes and how Valente played with them. Younger readers would miss a lot of that.

Reply
  3. Elizabeth (Silver's Reviews)
    November 24, 2014 at 8:17 pm (9 years ago)

Great week for you.

October Mourning has a gorgeous cover, and it sounds as if it is a worthwhile read.

Have a wonderful reading week.

Elizabeth
    Silver’s Reviews
    My It’s Monday, What Are You Reading

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      November 25, 2014 at 9:51 am (9 years ago)

Even though it is about a difficult subject, it is a beautiful book.

Reply