It’s Monday! What are you reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey.  Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Menor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist.  It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next.  Join up with us and discover what good books other people  are reading.

I jumped around quite a bit in my reading this week. I didn’t finish much, but I’ve enjoyed dipping into and out of quite a few good books.

I finished…

Smokey Bear and the Campfire Kids – I received a code to download this app to review (coming later this week). My first impression is I like that the app is focused on reading the story. The animations are cute but not distracting.

I’m currently reading…

Poliser_SummerLettingGo_jkt_website_207_1The Summer of Letting Go by Gae Polisner – We’re still reading this a few nights a week. I had hoped we would have more time during fall break, but somehow the days still filled up. The good news is the girl is still asking for us to read a chapter together as Frankie “Beans” puzzles out the mystery that Frankie Sky presents.

again calls the owlAgain Calls the Owl by Margaret Craven – I didn’t read too much this week, but I did dip into I Heard the Owl Call My Name. I definitely want to go back and reread it again, too. I did enjoy reading how Craven got her start with writing in what was then very much a man’s world.

les-miserablesLes Miserables by Victor Hugo – I actually made good progress this week and read quite a bit. I’m up to 82%!  I might even make my goal of finishing it by Christmas. The action is picking up behind the barricade. Marius saved the day and then sent Gavroche on an errand to get him out of the way. (He came back anyway.) Jean Valjean has also showed up behind the barricade, and they are waiting for the next attack.

this dark endeavorThis Dark Endeavor by Kenneth Oppel – I was looking for something spooky to get me in the mood for Halloween. This story of the young Frankenstein definitely fits the bill. Victor sows the seeds of evil quite young, even if he is motivated by love (and jealousy of) for his brother.

cryptic crinolineThe Case of the Cryptic Crinoline by Nancy Springer – I’m listening to this one and I’m quite captivated by the young Miss Enola Holmes. She has quite a mystery with the disappearance of her landlady who lived a most surprising past during the Crimean War. And the mystery involves the Lady of the Lamp–Florence Nightengale.

Secrets of Writing High-Performance Business-to-Business Copy(AWAI) – We are back to class this week after taking last week off.

Coming up…

I think I had better finish some of the books I’m in the middle of right now.

What good books have you read this week?

12 Comments on It’s Monday! What are you reading?

1. Myra from GatheringBooks
    October 30, 2014 at 6:13 am (9 years ago)

Again calls the owl looks like it’s an interesting read. Best of luck with your Les Miserables! 🙂

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      October 31, 2014 at 12:31 pm (9 years ago)

Again Calls the Owl was a beatiful read! I’ve now picked up Craven’s fiction masterpiece, I Heard the Owl Call My Name. I read it a long time ago, but don’t remember much of it.

Reply
  2. Ricki Ginsberg
    October 20, 2014 at 11:25 pm (10 years ago)

This Dark Endeavor has been sitting on my nightstand for several months. I really want to read it, too! I am glad you enjoyed it. I am also glad to see your progress with Les Miserables. I am rooting for you!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      October 22, 2014 at 8:27 pm (9 years ago)

I think I might make it through Les Mis by the end of the year. It helps that the action is picking up and detours through meandering asides are shorter.

Reply
  3. Jenny @Juliababyjen's Reading Room
    October 20, 2014 at 9:46 pm (10 years ago)

This Dark Endeavor looks really good! Enjoy 🙂

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      October 22, 2014 at 8:26 pm (9 years ago)

It’s an enjoyable twist and prequel to the original Frankenstein!

Reply
  4. Kellee Moye (@kelleemoye)
    October 20, 2014 at 9:21 pm (10 years ago)

This Dark Endeavor is fantastic! Enjoy! Kenneth Oppel is one of my favorite authors. The Monstrumologist is perfect for Halloween time too 🙂

Happy reading this week!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff

I am enjoying This Dark Endeavor. I finally listened to Shelley’s origina Frankenstein last summer, and it’s interesting to see the seeds of Victor’s character being planted in Oppel’s story.

Reply
  5. Fay
    October 20, 2014 at 4:01 pm (10 years ago)

I LOVE Les Mis but have yet to read it so well done on getting so far in. My challenge that is forever ongoing is Anna Karenina – one day soon I will pick up that book again!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      October 20, 2014 at 8:01 pm (10 years ago)

I once listened to ANNA KARENINA, but it must have been an abridged version. I havent tried too much by the Russian writers, but I would like to–one day!

Reply
  6. Lisa
    October 20, 2014 at 10:15 am (10 years ago)

My favs of all time:
    The One and Only Ivan
    A Diamond in the Desert
    Wonder
    Alice in Wonderland

Lisa
    LisaTeachR’sClassroom

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      October 20, 2014 at 8:00 pm (10 years ago)

I loved WONDER and THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN. I haven’t read A DIAMOND IN THE DESERT though.

Reply