It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey.  Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Menor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist.  It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next.  Join up with us and discover what good books other people  are reading.

image

This week has been a little quieter, and I’ve finished some of the books I’ve been working on. I’m also working on another story assignment for a publlication that had me traveling across the state and meeting some fascinating people.  This week, I need to finish up interviews and write the draft of the story.

I finished…

confessions of a murder suspectConfessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson – I’m still not sure what I think of this one.  Tandy, the narrator comes across as a bit annoying and stand-offish, but at the same time I was fascinated by her.  I was satisfied by the ending, but there are enough loose threads left to lead to sequels.

pucker upPucker Up by Rhonda Stapleton – I had been putting off reading this one even though I enjoyed the first book in the series, Studid Cupid.  For someone reason, I never got a copy of the middle book in the series.  No matter, I had no problem following the skip in the action, and it is a fun read–full of a comedy of errors that results from putting a high school girl (who doesn’t like reading the instruction manual) in charge of sending Cupid’s arrows to pair up couples at her school.

complete idiot's guide to publishing children's booksThe Complete Idiot’s Guide to Publishing Children’s Books by Harold D. Underdown – This book is littered with sticky notes that I now need to record (in the form of web bookmarks, mostly) before returning it to the library.  It gives a fascinating and informative look at all aspects of the publishing process for children’s books.

I’m currently reading…

les-miserablesLes Miserables by Victor Hugo – I am making progress–now I’m up to 75%–but it is slow.  I am glad this tome is on my Kindle app so I don’t have to lug around the book, but I only pick it up when I am waiting in the car somewhere.  I’m hoping the action picks up as the different groups come together during the riots surrounding the beloved general’s funeral

Secrets of Writing High-Performance Business-to-Business Copy(AWAI) – I’m on to chapters 2 & 3 for my class.  The good news is I did well on my first assignment, and I enjoyed doing this type of writing.

Coming up…

I need to choose a new audio book to keep me company on my runs this week.  I have several to choose from that I downloaded from Sync YA this summer. I think I’ll load up Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick. I know I’ve heard good reviews of it, but I can’t remember what it is actually about. I’ll be surprised. I’m not sure what else I’ll pick up, but it’s bound to be something good.

What are you reading this week?

8 Comments on It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

1. Ms. Yingling
    September 23, 2014 at 5:52 am (10 years ago)

I met Rhonda at a cupcake party in Cleveland a couple of years ago, and she was so much fun. My daughter has all three of the books in this series, and now I’m curious to see what else she has written!

September 23, 2014 at 9:32 am (10 years ago)

I got to meet her at a book signing in Cincinnati. SHe is so much fun! I do see that all three Stupid Cupid books have been released in a single volume. If I remember right, she has some women’s fiction out, too.

2. Kellee Moye (@kelleemoye)
    September 22, 2014 at 9:48 pm (10 years ago)

Leonard Peacock is so well written, but it is intense. I hope you enjoy your time with Leonard.

Happy reading this week! 🙂

September 23, 2014 at 9:31 am (10 years ago)

I must have remembered reading about the intensity because I’ve been putting it off. I think I’m ready for it now.

3. Ricki Ginsberg
    September 22, 2014 at 3:44 pm (10 years ago)

Pucker Up looks like a fun read. I love skipping around in series, although…I am never compelled to read the second book if the third book is easy to follow without it. I can skip forward, but skipping back always feels a bit trickier if it seems like nothing big happened. I am glad you had a great week!

September 22, 2014 at 8:15 pm (10 years ago)

Pucker Up is a lot of fun. I’d like to go back to read the second book even though I know how it ends. I suspect it will be enjoyable to experience all the mishaps along the way and see how they unfold.

September 22, 2014 at 8:14 pm (10 years ago)

I would love to write children’s books as a long term goal. I have a novel I started and several ideas to explore. We’ll see how it goes.