It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey.  Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Menor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist.  It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next.  Join up with us and discover what good books other people are reading.

image

My reading week took a surprising turn–not at all what I expected to read. We also had a weekend filled with soccer, and I chaperoned the girls’ soccer team on their overnight tournament. I’m glad to be home and hopefully get back to a more expected reading and writing week.

I finished…

The Federal Election Commission Campaign Guide – A friend asked me to serve as treasurer on her campaign committee for Congress. Before I accepted, I wanted to know what I was getting into.  Let me just say that reading through all the rules, laws and guidelines for federal campaigns was eye-opening. I value even more Susan’s campaign that does not rely on extensive fundraising, but on talking with people directly.

I’m currently reading…

les-miserablesLes Miserables by VIctor Hugo – I didn’t get too far this week.  I only made it to 73%.  The story got bogged down with political theory about the differences between revolution and insurrection.  We did see the funeral of the beloved general that incited riots and Gavroche is a part of it all.  I like that kid.

complete idiot's guide to publishing children's booksThe Complete Idiot’s Guide to Publishing Children’s Books by Harold D. Underdown – I’m taking my time with this one to absorb the information.  One of the most valuable parts of this book is the resources included.  By the time I’m done, I’ll have sticky notes sticking out all over.

confessions of a murder suspectConfessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson – I’m not sure what I think of this one.  I’m intrigued enough to want to finish to find out who murdered the parents, but the narrator is a bit much.  She addresses the listener/reader frequently, and it seems almost overdone, especially when she’s dropping what seem to be obvious hints and claiming that “this is a story for another time.”

song of the quarkbeastSong of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde – I’ve been waiting for this one since just after Christmas.  I received a paperback of the first book, The Last Dragonslayer, for Christmas. Since I started the series in paperback, I preordered the paperback for this second book in the series, and it just came out in the US.  I love Fforde’s wordplay and humor, and so far I’m loving Jennifer Strange’s second adventure.  Magic is indeed on the rise again, but that doesn’t mean the Kazam’s problems are decreasing. If anything, they face even more trouble.

Coming up…

I definitely will be finishing up the books I’m in the middle of here.  My goal is to catch up on some blog posts as well.  I have several good books I’ve been reading that I want to share.

What are you reading this week?

10 Comments on It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

1. Myra from GatheringBooks
    September 10, 2014 at 6:00 am (10 years ago)

I have Jasper Fforde’s Tuesday series but haven’t gotten around to reading them yet. This Song of the Quarkbeast has intrigued me ever since I saw it come out. Looking forward to reading your thoughts about the book.

September 10, 2014 at 3:56 pm (10 years ago)

I love Tuesday Next! Actually, I haven’t read a Jasper Fforde book that I haven’t loved. I definitely appreciate his sense of humor! I just finished Song of the Quarkbeast. I love the quirky magic and even quirkier magicians. Jennifer Strange tops my favorite characters lists.

2. Ricki Ginsberg
    September 9, 2014 at 12:55 pm (10 years ago)

For me, the mark of a good book is the stickies—fiction or nonfiction! That makes me want to go out and get the Complete Idiot’s Guide book. It seems like a great resource, as you said. I hope you and yours are doing well!

September 9, 2014 at 8:47 pm (10 years ago)

He shares good information in the text and website after website after magazine after book where to find more information!

3. Kellee Moye (@kelleemoye)
    September 8, 2014 at 8:55 pm (10 years ago)

I’ve never read any adult James Patterson though it sounds like it is a suspenseful one!
    Happy reading this week! 🙂

September 8, 2014 at 9:55 pm (10 years ago)

Confessions reads like YA. The narrator is a teen, and it reads young. The family is quite unusual in its parenting approach–some seriously messed up but super talented kids.

4. Kathy Martin
    September 8, 2014 at 7:47 pm (10 years ago)

I enjoyed listening to Confessions of a Murder Suspect but haven’t picked up the rest of the series. I’m curious about who killed the parents too. Happy reading!

September 8, 2014 at 9:53 pm (10 years ago)

Oh no! Does this mean the murderer isn’t revealed at the end of the first book?

5. Kim@booknook
    September 8, 2014 at 11:54 am (10 years ago)

I’ve been leary of reading confessions, ive heard from a lot of people that the narrator was annoying. ugh cause I like James Patterson. good luck playing catch up!!

Here is my Monday!

September 8, 2014 at 9:52 pm (10 years ago)

I can see why some readers find her annoying. I’m still trying to make up my mind. Sometimes I like it, sometimes not.