It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey.  Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Menor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist.  It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next.  Join up with us and discover what good books other people are reading.

image

I finished:

murder at the vicarageMurder at the Vicarage by Agathy Christie – Doing lots of mowing this week gave me lots of time to listen to this audio from SYNC YA.  It was a delight to listen to.  I love Miss Marple and her keen observations–though if I lived in her village, I’d probably think she was a busybody when she turned her skills on my life!

and the mountains echoedAnd the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini – This is my favorite of the three Hosseini books I’ve read.  The end was bittersweet, and I definitely wanted to read more about some of the characters.

save meSave Me by Lisa Scottoline – Everything that could go wrong when Rose volunteers at her daughters school does go wrong–bullying girls, an explosion, a missing/injured child, lawsuits and possible criminal charges.  Then Rose turns into an amateur detective and brings the true bad guys to justice.  I liked it.

I’m currently reading…

les-miserablesLes Miserables by VIctor Hugo – I’m up to 72%, but the story is bogging down with more political theory and lots of mooning over each other by Marius and Cosette.  In this section, I’m most impressed with Eponine’s bravery.  She protects Marius and Cosette from a gang of six robbers (including her father) who have just escaped from prison.

complete idiot's guide to publishing children's booksThe Complete Idiot’s Guide to Publishing Children’s Books by Harold D. Underdown – I’ve just started another text in my crash course on freelance writing.  Now to start getting all these ideas that are swirling around my head down on paper and out into the world.

Coming up…

confessions of a murder suspectConfessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson – I just transferred this one to my iPod to listen to while I run and do other mindless tasks.  The heat and humidity kept me from running this morning, but I have something to listen to when I do get on the road!

I’ll continue reading the books I’m in the middle of.  I also have another book by Lisa Scottoline that I will start.

6 Comments on It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

1. Myra from GatheringBooks
    September 5, 2014 at 7:43 am (10 years ago)

I own a copy of The Mountains Echoed but have not had a chance to read it yet. Am looking forward to my long vacation this November/December and sink right into it.

September 5, 2014 at 8:50 am (10 years ago)

I hope you enjoy it!

September 2, 2014 at 7:25 am (10 years ago)

His books are packed with emotions! And the Mountains Echoed has it’s heartbreaking moments, but I found it more hopeful than the others. I guess I thought the good moments outweighed the negative ones in these characters’ lives.

2. Ricki Ginsberg
    September 1, 2014 at 8:12 pm (10 years ago)

Kay, I will be curious to read more about what you think about The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Publishing Children’s Books. As I always say, I love coming to your blog because it is so different! I look forward to the books you read. I always feel guilty posting more PhD books than YAL (my love), so it is good to see others who are exploring out there in the reading world!

September 2, 2014 at 7:24 am (10 years ago)

I’ll let you know what I think. I’ve just started, and so far it’s pretty basic information. In some ways it’s very reassuring. Much of what the author says about writing is the same thing I taught my students. I know this stuff. I just need to do it consistently. I’m glad you enjoy the blog. My reading has been all over the place this summer. I think I’m trying out different things that I haven’t had time for and in a way to find how my reading life changes as my life changes. I will be diving back into kid/YA lit because I love it and can’t stay away for long, but it’s been good to explore other things, too. I’ve enjoyed seeing what you are reading for your PhD, too.