It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey.  Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Menor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist.  It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next.  Join up with us and discover what good books other people are reading.

image

It may have been because I was procrastinating other things, but this was a good reading week for me.  I finished up several books that I had been reading for quite a while and started several others.  Now if I can just crank up the writing to match for this coming week!

I finished…

code name verityCode Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein – I finished this last Monday morning.  The audio was excellent, but I am glad I had read the text first.  Hearing the words after reading them highlighted details that I missed or sped through when I first read it.  I defnintely want to read Rose Under Fire.

2014 childrens writers market2014 Children’s Writer’s & Illustrator’s Market edited by Chuck Sambuchino – Okay, confession time.  I didn’t read every description of every publisher, agent, and magazine, but I did glance through them and looked up a few using the subject and age level indexes.  Once I get my writing going, I will want to invest in a yearly subscription to refer to.  I learned much from the articles and interviews in the first half of the book.

buggedBugged!  How Insects Changed History by Sarah Albee – My view of history will never be the same.  It’s too bad that history textbooks can’t have this much fun with history.

anne of green gablesAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery – Anne Shirley kept me good company this week as I ran, mowed, cleaned, and canned salsa.  This story has long been one of my favorites that I revisit again and again.  I enjoyed listening to Anne’s scrapes and kindred spirits and imaginative stories just as much as reading them.  Of course, now I want to go back and read the rest of the series.

heaven is for realHeaven is for Real by Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent – I didn’t intend to reread this book this week, but it was lying around and I found myself picking it up. (My husband’s Sunday School class is getting ready to start it.)  Once again I found myself captivated and wondering at the experiences of this little boy.

I’m currently reading…

les-miserablesLes Miserables by VIctor Hugo – I’m up to 70% of the way through despite getting bogged down in another detour, this one about slang and a history of language and politics.  I would have found the sland discussion interesting, but my French is not good enough to get the points he was making.  I don’t think the English translation caught the whole of it.

murder at the vicarageMurder at the Vicarage by Agathy Christie – I also downloaded this title from Sync YA over the summer.  I love Agatha Christie mysteries. Even though I very likely read it long ago, I don’t remember the end, so I get to enjoy it all over again–and it is a Miss Marple mystery.  She’s my favorite.

and the mountains echoedAnd the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini – This is breathtaking so far.  I love how Hosseini’s writing sweeps me out of my world and into one that is so very different.  After reading his books, I would love to see the country and people of Afghanistan.  I’m not sure I’m brave enough to visit in real life right now, but I am grateful that he shares his vision of it through his stories.

Coming up…

I will finish the books I’m in the middle of.  I also want to catch up with my blogging and writing in general.  I have a couple of books that a friend lent me that I’d like to pick up next. I am hoping for a productive week for both reading and writing!

What good books are you reading this week?

14 Comments on It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

1. Emily
    August 29, 2014 at 11:52 pm (10 years ago)

I loved The Kite Runner and am just reminded that I have For a Thousand Suns in my shelf waiting to be read. I will need to get to And the Mountains Echoed sometime soon too!

September 1, 2014 at 9:27 am (10 years ago)

I loved all three books, but I think And the Mountains Echoed is my favorite.

2. Kellee Moye (@kelleemoye)
    August 27, 2014 at 5:08 pm (10 years ago)

I never read Anne of Green Gables in its entirety though I have read many excerpts. I really want to read Anne’s complete adventures one day.

Happy reading this week! 🙂

August 28, 2014 at 7:18 am (10 years ago)

I highly recommend Anne’s stories. She is a kindred spirit!

3. Myra from GatheringBooks
    August 27, 2014 at 12:01 am (10 years ago)

I own a copy of Hosseini’s latest novel – I loved both his Kiterunner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. I am definitely looking forward to reading And the mountains echoed. Hopefully before the year ends. 🙂

August 28, 2014 at 7:19 am (10 years ago)

I think And the Mountains Echoed is my favorite of his three books. I hope you enjoy it!

4. Megan
    August 25, 2014 at 4:57 pm (10 years ago)

I really liked Code Name Verity-I listened the first time through. Rose Under Fire was much more challenging for me. I really struggle with accounts of concentration camps and this one was quite graphic, in my opinion. Still, it is powerful and well-written and I am glad I read it.

August 28, 2014 at 7:20 am (10 years ago)

It is tough to read about the concentration camps. My mind struggles to accept such evil and cruelty, but at the same time I am amazed by the acts of love and selflessness that some of the prisoners showed. I’m looking forward to reading Rose Under Fire.

5. Linda Baie
    August 25, 2014 at 11:09 am (10 years ago)

Be sure to read Rose Under Fire-different, but just as good as Code Name Verity. I loved both! And I love Sarah Albee’s books. I still need to read Bugged, but loved her Poop Happened. So interesting… You have so much going on with your reading, love hearing about all the books!

August 25, 2014 at 2:52 pm (10 years ago)

I am looking forward to Rose Under Fire. I need to see if our library has it. If not, I will be requesting it! BUGGED is excellent. It will be sure to satisfy those readers who like to be grossed out. I’m glad we don’t have to deal with some of the diseases spread by bugs in our country today.

6. Melanie Meehan
    August 25, 2014 at 7:44 am (10 years ago)

Loved Loved And the Mountains Echoed, although sometimes I was left wishing for more. Your other books are an eclectic mix, for sure. I have a lot of driving to do his week, and you have inspired me to include some classics in my listening mix. Thanks.

August 25, 2014 at 8:51 am (10 years ago)

I know what you mean aboutr wanting more from And the Mountains Echoed. There were so many characters that I wanted to follow longer. Enjoy listening while you drive!

7. Ms. Yingling
    August 25, 2014 at 7:19 am (10 years ago)

I do love Anne, but it’s been a long time since we’ve visited. It’s just not the same, somehow. Perhaps I should read Ingleside, but even that doesn’t tempt me any more. Just as well, but I do miss her a bit!

August 25, 2014 at 8:52 am (10 years ago)

I found myself just as captivated this time around. I think I had as much fun anticipating the upcoming scrapes and adventures and reliving the time I first read about Anne. After I grew up I discovered three more books in the series (I had the first six as a child) that followed Anne’s children. I didn’t enjoy them quite as much as I did the first ones.