It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

It’s Monday! What are you reading? Is a meme sponsored by Sheila atBook Journey.  Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Menor Texts gave the meme a kidlit twist.  It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve read and reviewed the last week and plan what you want to read next.  Join up with us and discover what good books other people are reading.

image

The #bookaday challenge that I usually participate in through the summer has turned into #bookaweek and then some this week.  I finished just one book this week:

71VjepfB1-LWhere Is Home, Little Pip? by Karma Wilson & Jane Chapman – The Little Free Library organization sent me this picture book in my Steward’s Packet.  It’s a cute story about a penguin who gets separated from his parents and can’t find his way home.  I can’t wait to add it to the library outside.  This edition has both English and Spanish text.  Unfortunately, I can read only the English.

In related library news, I wrote a press release about our new little library and sent it to the regional paper in the next county.  The Columbus, IN, Republic published to story in Sunday’s paper.  That was exciting!

I’m currently reading:

imageW.A.R.P. The Reluctant Assassin b Eoin Colfer – One more run should put me through the end of this one.  It’s definitely exciting, and I can’t wait to see how–and if–Chevron and Riley defeat Garrick.  I will be looking for the next one in the series soon.  I am glad I don’t live in Victorian England.  I’ll stick with modern sanitation.

imageThe Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling – Wow!  I’m just past the halfway mark in this one, and I like it.  At first I had trouble keeping the large cast of characters straight in my head, but now that I’m seeing the connections between them (that sometimes the characters don’t realize), I am enjoying the wicked humor.

What’s coming up:

In addition to finishing the books above, I’d like to read more in Les Miserables this week.  Will Marius ever find the girl of his dreams again?

I’d also like to continue reading another short story or two in Fidelity by Wendell Berry.

11 Comments on It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

1. Maria Selke (@mselke01)
    July 7, 2014 at 7:32 am (10 years ago)

I am glad to hear good things about Casual Vacancy… maybe I will pick it up. I have often read books that required me to keep notes on the characters (Ann Rice was a prime culprit on this one)

2. Kellee Moye (@kelleemoye)
    June 30, 2014 at 9:53 pm (10 years ago)

Yay penguin books! They always bring a smile to my face 🙂

Happy reading this week! 🙂

July 1, 2014 at 6:20 am (10 years ago)

Me, too!

3. Ricki Ginsberg
    June 30, 2014 at 2:04 pm (10 years ago)

I am glad to hear that Casual Vacancy is good! I often wonder if authors have to keep long lists of their characters when they have so many! I hope you have a great reading week!

June 30, 2014 at 2:54 pm (10 years ago)

I think she would have had to make a spider web to keep up with all the characters and their interconnections. I almost need one while reading it!

4. Lindsey
    June 30, 2014 at 11:16 am (10 years ago)

I picked up The Casual Vacancy from my library book sale a while back. I’m glad to hear that you are enjoying it!

http://literarylindsey.com

June 30, 2014 at 11:49 am (10 years ago)

I hope you enjoy it! It’s really hard to describe what it’s like other than good.

5. Ms. Yingling
    June 30, 2014 at 10:04 am (10 years ago)

My daughter desperately wanted the Casual Vacancy but is only now getting through more than 57 pages of it. I am not supposed to read it until she is done. Absolutely with you on living now instead in less sanitary times, but the biggest problem I had with the Colfer was the human-on-human violence. A bit much for MG.

June 30, 2014 at 11:48 am (10 years ago)

There was quite a bit of violence. I guess that’s what you get when the villain is a serial killer. I had some middle school students who would enjoy it, but it wouldn’t be for all of them.

6. Myra from GatheringBooks
    June 30, 2014 at 7:09 am (10 years ago)

I also own a copy of Casual Vacancy which I have just recently bought from a warehouse book sale here in Singapore. Looking forward to reading it soon.

June 30, 2014 at 9:05 am (10 years ago)

I am really enjoying Casual Vacancy. The relationships between the characters are fascinating. Many of them don’t even see the connections between them.