The Center of Everything by Linda Urban

imageBecause I have been hearing so many good things about Linda Urban’s books from my Nerdy Book Club friends, I knew I had to order The Center of Everything (Scholastic 2013) when I saw it in the book order.  I’m glad I did.  Urban has written a simply beautiful story about grief and family and friendship and second chances.

Ruby Pepperdine has lost the center of world when her grandmother, Gigi dies.  Ruby is haunted by the regret that she didn’t listen to Gigi while she has the chance.  Now she is desperate for one last chance to make things the way they are “supposed to” be.  Her last chance is if her wish will come true on Bunning Day–the community celebration where she will read her winning essay.

But along the way, Ruby’s world is spinning out of control.  She is fighting with her best friend Lucy.  She may have met a new friend, Nero, in the library, but she might mess up that friendship before it even begins.  Will she be able to set things right again?

This is not a book packed with action, but its pages are packed with feeling and lyrical prose.  This is the kind of book I would have snuck under my pillow to read after bedtime when I was in middle school.  It’s the kind of book I would have read again and again, wanting to be friends with Ruby and Lucy and Nero.  Now it is the kind of book I want to share with anyone who can’t quite find their place in the world.