Where Are My Comments

imageI’m taking part in the weekly Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by  Two Writing Teachers, where teachers write and share each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slicers. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

I love many things about taking part in the Slice of Life Challenge–

• being inspired by good writing and great teaching,
  • taking part in such a supportive community,
  • experimenting with different writing techniques,
  • having the discipline to write every day for a month,

–but one of the things I love the most is receiving comments on my writing.  Knowing that someone is reading my writing  motivates me to write more and more.  Those words of encouragement are like a trail of bread crumbs that lead me right back to more writing.  Thank you to everyone who has taken time to read and comment on my posts.

I also enjoy reading and responding to the other slicers each day.  I come away amazed and inspired.  Earlier this week Betsy suggested a commenting game.  I haven’t played by those rules yet, but her post did get me thinking about how I decide which posts to comment on each day.  I will warn you that for my commenting game, I make up the rules as I go along, and they change from day to day.

My Arbitrary and Ever-Changing Rules for Commenting:

• I volunteered to be part of the Welcome Wagon during this month’s SOL.  I signed up because last year’s Welcome Wagon did such a good job in making me feel like I belonged.  In return, I got to read daily slices from a group of new writers to this community.  I don’t know how Bonnie divided the new slicers among us, but I lucked out.  By reading slices from the same group of people every day (people who made me laugh, who inspired me, who shared incredible experiences with me), I feel like I got to know them so much better.  I want us all to meet somewhere over dinner and continue sharing stories.
  • At some point during the last year, someone (I wish I remembered who) shared that they always commented on the three people who linked below them on the call for slices at TWT.  I thought that was a good idea, so I’ve been doing that, too.  Somedays it’s the three people below my name.  Some days, I am able to read and comment on the five or more slices below mine.  Since I am not consistent on the time of day I slice, I’ve gotten to read more variety.
  • Sometimes I just scroll through the links.  I’m not looking for anything in particular.  Is there a name I recognize?  Does the title or intro to the blog post catch my eye?  Is it a topic I share an interest in or a topic that introduces me to something completely outside of my experience?
  • I try to visit the blogs of the people who leave me comments.  It doesn’t always work.  Sometimes I can’t find their post in the long list of links.  Some days I just get overwhelmed and run out of time.

No matter how I get to those posts, I hope those writers are as encouraged by my comments as I am by the ones I receive.

14 Comments on Where Are My Comments

1. Stacey
    March 29, 2014 at 9:38 am (10 years ago)

Thanks for sharing your commenting process with us. I love hearing about ways other people decide whose posts to comment on.

I’m trying to make it around to everyone’s blog at least 2x this March. It’s been hard with my arm problems, but I think it’s important since I, too, know how important comments are to fueling writers. That being said, I’m working off of a Slicer spreadsheet rather than the links this year. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad, but so far it’s helping me keep track of things a lot better than I have in the past.

March 29, 2014 at 10:45 am (10 years ago)

I’m impressed that you’ve made it to visit and comment on everyone’s blog–not once but twice. Take care of that arm. I had a pinched nerve in mine last spring, and it was painful to spend time on the computer.

2. Ramona
    March 28, 2014 at 11:58 pm (10 years ago)

Just wondering if you are the Kay who leaves me comments some of the time. I’m unable to link to your blog, so I’m always on the lookout for a Kay. I love your explanation – I meander a lot, names I recognize, pet topics, lines that intrigue me. It’s fun, but can be an addictive slippery slope.

March 29, 2014 at 10:44 am (10 years ago)

It probably was me. It can be hard to find people in the list of links.

3. Jackie
    March 28, 2014 at 9:22 pm (10 years ago)

Comments are one of the reasons I participate in the SOLSC. I’m usually blogging randomly throughout the year for friends and family about my adventures as an international teacher. But knowing that there is a built-in audience of potential commenters for the month long slices, my writing feels more like a spigot than a meander river that I dip into from time to time. Thanks for the encouragement to continue to comment. I also select the blogs to comment on based on timing of when I post my slice and the vicinity of those who’ve posted around me at that time. It’s been great to be introduced to a lot of new writers. I entered the challenge because of Jee Young (Teach to Inspire) and have been grateful to her ever since. Blessings!

March 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm (10 years ago)

Those comments are so powerful, and so is this community. I have learned so much from everyone.

4. Leigh Anne
    March 28, 2014 at 9:20 pm (10 years ago)

It is amazing what a few small comments can do. I hate it when I don’t have as much time to read and comment as I would like. Thank you for your part in this challenge.

March 28, 2014 at 9:55 pm (10 years ago)

I’ve gotten so much more out of it.

5. elsie
    March 28, 2014 at 12:14 pm (10 years ago)

Until you get comments, you never realized how powerfully motivating they are. This is also something to take back into the classroom. We can’t wait until the final draft to comment and talk to kids about their writing.
    Every comment is so appreciated. What a great month for discovering writers it’s been.

March 28, 2014 at 6:03 pm (10 years ago)

I have struggled to get my students to comment. I comment on their blogs and regularly share them with principals, other teachers, and parents (who also comment) but it hasn’t taken off yet.

6. chrisleish
    March 28, 2014 at 10:08 am (10 years ago)

I am one of the lucky ones to be on the receiving end of your welcome wagon and I am so appreciative. I have found that by signing up to follow a few of the blogs of people whose writing I have found helpful, profound, beautiful, funny,or just right at the time that I have been able to build up the number of posts I comment on. I read their posts and comment and then scroll the posts on the slice page for new writers to stalk! Oh, and give feedback.

• Kay McGriff
      March 28, 2014 at 11:01 am (10 years ago)

There are so many good and inspiring writers to choose from! I wish I had time to read and comment on all of them.

7. Holly Mueller
    March 28, 2014 at 10:00 am (10 years ago)

I agree that the comments are the best part! I wasn’t the one who said that I comment on the 3 slicers who link below me, but I’ve been trying to do that! It’s a good way to comment on people who are new to me. It’s been such a great month. I think it’s great that you volunteered for the Welcome Wagon!

March 28, 2014 at 10:04 am (10 years ago)

Comments are the best! It’s exciting to be part of such a great community.