The Real Boy by Anne Ursu

imageOnce upon a time there was a city on an island that was protected by magic.  The magic ran deep through the roots of the wizard trees in the forest that surrounded it, but few knew the secret behind the magic.  Instead the people of the walled city and the village below were too busy using small magic to make their lives better.

In the middle of all this, Oscar knows his place in the world.  He is the magician’s hand, not as good as an apprentice, but Oscar knows the plants he gathers and prepares for the magician.  Oscar is content with his small world that resides in the cellar and the woods because he doesn’t quite fit in with everyone else.

Then when the magic starts unravelling on the island, Oscar must move beyond his comfortable life and explore what it means to be real and what it means to be magic.  Anne Ursu has created a magical story in The Real Boy that explores that power and magic of friendship and love and sacrifice.

2 Comments on The Real Boy by Anne Ursu

1. chrisleish
    March 28, 2014 at 10:11 am (10 years ago)

One of my students was reading this, and I have been reading his nightly logs and wondering if I was going to add it to my growing pile of NEXT READS. Guess I know the answer now.

Reply
    • Kay McGriff
      March 28, 2014 at 10:59 am (10 years ago)

I highly recommend it! I can’t wait to get back to school to share it with my students.

Reply