Where’s Roomba?

imageI’m taking part in the weekly Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by  Two Writing Teachers, where teachers write and share each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slicers. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

Every morning while I’m at school, my little Roomba dauntlessly sweeps the floors of the entire upstairs of my house.  Well, she sort of does.  You see, Roomba is a dedicated sweeper.  It’s the only thing she knows how to do, but she does have a few quirks.

Sometimes, Roomba gets lost.  Most nights when I get home, she is not on her home base.  Then the search begins.  Is she stuck under the fouton?  Did she get tangled in a throw rug?  Did she shut herself in the bathroom?  Did she simply run out of battery in the middle of the floor?   Is she hiding behind the recliner?

I know.  She got bored sweeping and decided to play hide-and-seek.  Last night she did a bang-up job of hide-and-seek.  I still haven’t found her in any of her regular hiding spots.  It may take a while to to ferret out her new location.

Roomba sucks up dirt like a hungry termite eats through wood.  She also sucks up other things that get left on the floor:  hair bands, bobby pins, bookmarks, papers, magazine pages, thread, ribbons, shoe laces.  Some of these things give her indigestion.

I suppose I will have to go searching for Roomba once I finish this post.  There are crumbs of cookie dough (from last night’s preparation for today’s Spanish food day–that’s a whole other story) strewn across the kitchen floor.

image

4 Comments on Where’s Roomba?

1. chrisleish
    March 19, 2014 at 9:17 pm (10 years ago)

love this- I’ve often wondered how these things worked, and though it is clear that the productivity may be sketchy, you have made it sound so adorable I might have to get one as a pet!

March 19, 2014 at 9:18 pm (10 years ago)

It actually picks up more dirt than I thought. Despite her wanderings, there is not much dirt around when I do get a broom out. And she is fascinating to watch.

2. Becky
    March 19, 2014 at 9:16 pm (10 years ago)

I love how you personify the Roomba! Made me laugh!!

March 19, 2014 at 9:19 pm (10 years ago)

I was hoping to bring a smile to readers! Thanks!