To Read, or Not to Read

imageI’m taking part in the weekly Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by  Two Writing Teachers, where teachers write and share each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slicers. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

That’s not really the question since I’m always reading.  But believe it or not, I don’t wish to read every book I’ve come across.  When I came across this post from Deb Day, I knew I wanted to share it with my students and write it myself.

The assignment is inspired by a quote from Oscar Wilde:

Books, I fancy, may be conveniently divided into three classes: 1. Books to read 2. Books to reread 3. Books not to read at all.

That reminded me of a quote from Sir Francis Bacon that I first encountered in high school.  I’ve never forgotten it (or the gist of it, anyway.  I had to look up the exact words).

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.

These quotes do describe how I read books.  Some books I devour quickly in one sitting.  If it is a really good book, I might reread in order to digest it more slowly.  Some books I scan and skip through, looking for just the information I need.  Occasionally, I will find a book that forces me to slow down and savor from the very beginning.  It doesn’t happen often, but I have found books that I’d just as soon not read.  Here are my selections for each category as of right now. If you ask me the same question tomorrow, I just might have different answers.

Books to Read

This is the hardest to narrow down.  I have books to read stacked on my desk, stashed in boxes,  and listed on GoodReads–all waiting for me to read them.  These are the books that are nearest the top of my TBR pile that I will be reading over spring break next week.

Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant by Veronica Roth

imageI must be the only reader left in the world who has not read this trilogy yet.  It’s not that I don’t want to.  I just haven’t found time amongst all the other books, but now that the movie is upon us, I don’t want to put it off any longer.  I ordered the complete set last Saturday and look forward to reading them from beginning to end all at once.

The Mighty Miss Malone by Christopher Paul Curtis

imageIt was so hard to choose just one from the box that has the books from the latest book order.  All of these titles are ones that I’ve been hearing such good things about from my Nerdy Book Club friends.  The Mighty Miss Malone comes to the top because I loved Bud, Not Buddy.  When I heard that Curtis gave Miss Malone her own story, I knew I wanted to read it.

Books to Reread

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

imageI first read Jane Eyre when I was in middle school.  I can remember curling up with a stack of pillows and blankets in the bottom of my closet, reading by the light of the lamp I drug in.  (Don’t judge me.  The closet was the only place I could escape my brother and hide the soul-wracking sobs that the end of story brought on.  Jane was so brave and smart and feisty.  And Mr. Rochester was so mysterious.  I still pull this book out every few years to read again.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

imageA friend lent me her boxed set of the entire Chronicles when I was in the hospital in fifth grade.  Peter, Susan, Edmond, Lucy, and all the rest kept me company during those long days and nights in the hospital. (And caused my doctor much frustration because I preferred reading to resting.)  As soon as I got home, I begged my parents to buy me my own set.  I cannot tell you how many times I’ve reread them in the years since.  They were the first chapter books I wanted to share with my daughter, and I still love them.  Whenever I need a break from my life, I know a trip to Narnia will give me a fresh perspective.

Books Not to Read at All

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

imageYes, I’m an English major and an English teacher, and I have never read Moby Dick.  I tried.  I got about a third of the way into it (when the main character–I’ve forgotten his name and refuse to look it up–finally makes it onto the deck of the ship.  I found I had no patience for the lengthy detours and details on the way to the main story.  I did read the graphic novel version about the time I gave up on Moby Dick.  Comparing the graphic novel to what I did read, I can’t say that the graphic novel left out anything important at all.  I will not be going back to this one–ever.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

imageTrue confession.  I actually did read this book.  I didn’t get it.  I tried it more than once.  But I still don’t get it.  Why do people say it is a great love story?  Who could possibly fall in love with Heathcliff?  I just don’t get the appeal.  It’s dark and depressing.  I have finally given up.  This love story is not for me.  I will never get it.

10 Comments on To Read, or Not to Read

1. Bill Howard
    March 17, 2014 at 9:03 pm (10 years ago)

Lord, I really hated much of our required reading in school. Wuthering Heights…I mean really? Not a guys book at all! I think I was halfway interested in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, but I read every other chapter in order to pass the test in Mrs. Parker’s class. It worked.

What I found later in life, actually once I went to college, was they were not my types of books. Now I have read several Dan Brown books, way to many Isaac Asimov books, and even more R.A. Salvatore books. I can get into and understand Carl Sagan, and I’m not talking about Contact (though I loved it), and even many books on people such as Einstein. I of course read several outdoors writers, but I have started some, that were given to me as advanced copies mind you, and can’t get through the preface without wishing to set it ablaze!

Funny thing though, none of my kids will ever know what Cliff’s Notes were. Dang internet. Oh, did I mention I couldn’t even get through the Cliff’s Notes on Wuthering Heights? 🙂

March 17, 2014 at 9:10 pm (10 years ago)

I guess Spark Notes have replace Cliff Notes. I actually didn’t mind most of the reading we did in school (yea, I was that big of a nerd). As a teacher, though, I rarely teach the whole class the same book. All my readers are so different. I’d much rather help them find the kind of books they love.

2. Jennie
    March 17, 2014 at 7:40 pm (10 years ago)

The Divergent series is great – I read all three over winter break. Enjoy!

March 17, 2014 at 8:45 pm (10 years ago)

I’m looking forward to reading them. My students ask why it’s taken me so long.

3. Bev
    March 17, 2014 at 6:50 pm (10 years ago)

Iloved Miss Malone and the Divergent series, but I haven’t read the Narnia series! (did read the Lord of the Rings trilogy tho – am I forgiven?)
    I swa the movie of Moby Dick and that was enough.

March 17, 2014 at 8:44 pm (10 years ago)

No need to be forgiven! I just finished a book about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe that compared it to Tolkien’s The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Lewis and Tolkien were writing buddies. Tolkien hated The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I’m glad Lewis didn’t listen to him on that point.

4. aggiekesler
    March 17, 2014 at 6:43 pm (10 years ago)

Cool idea! I’ll have to try it sometime. Oh, and you are just going to LOVE The Mighty Miss Malone! 🙂
    aggiekesler.wordpress.com

March 17, 2014 at 8:42 pm (10 years ago)

I am looking forward to spending more time with Miss Malone.

5. Adrienne
    March 17, 2014 at 6:34 pm (10 years ago)

I gave up on Wuthering Heights too. People are mean, dark and controlling. I’d rather read the newspaper for things like that. I don’t like the movie adaptations, either. The best adaptation of it was the song “Wuthering Heights” by Kate Bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs&feature=kp

Thanks for sharing the video. It is a much more entertaining version!