Doodles Aloud

imageI’m taking part in the weekly Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by  Two Writing Teachers, where teachers write and share each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slicers. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

I struggle to find time to read aloud to my seventh grade students.  I value its importance, but there is only so much I can squeeze into 46 minutes.  Now that we have extended our day by 45 minutes to help make up the fourteen snow days we’ve missed, I have an additional ten minutes for each class period.  During this week of standardized testing, I started reading aloud a book to each class.  Each class got to vote on the read aloud selection from my choice of books.

Much to my delight, three of my classes chose Moonbird by Phillip Hoose.  (It was a close second in several other classes, too.)  I introduced the book by telling students that I didn’t want to read it at first.  What could be interesting about a bird?  But once I started reading it, I couldn’t stop.  I also became quite obnoxious, sharing everything I learned as I read.  I don’t know how many conversations that week began with “Did you know….?”

This is the first nonfiction text that I’ve read aloud, and I’m learning again along with my students.  Where is the best spot to stop reading the main text and share the information in the sidebars and photo captions?  I wish I had a document projector so I could more easily share the illustrations and maps on the big screen, rather than walking up and down the rows.  (At least when this week is over, I can rearrange the furniture to make sharing the pages easier.)

I allow students to doodle while I read. (But not play games or pass notes–and yes, writing a letter is the same as writing notes.)  Yesterday, one of my students asked if they could share their doodles afterwards.  Since I’ve been playing around with doodling as a form of note-taking, I offhandedly mentioned that some people doodled to remember what they read or hear.  I suggested that if they wanted to share doodles, it would be about the book.  I mentioned it to each of the classes that listened to Moondbird yesterday, and I was blown away by what my students came up with.

Here is another doodle that didn’t fit into the Tapestry story very well, but wowed me with all the information capturesd:

image

Now I’m even more convinced that doodling can be a powerful tool to help my students learn.  I’m ready to learn more and share with my students.

PS – I used the Tapestry app to showcase my students’ doodles.  It’s my first time using the app.  (I learned about it from fellow slicers during the past year.)  I’m not sure how it will play on all devices, but there is a website, too.

10 Comments on Doodles Aloud

1. Phillip Hoose
    March 13, 2014 at 11:10 am (10 years ago)

Dear Readers,

It’s thrilling to learn that you picked Moonbird, and that you are enjoying it. I love the Doodles! FYI, B95 is still alive, or at least he was last month. I suspect he’s now on his way North, traveling along the Argentine coast. Happy reading!

Phillip Hoose

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 13, 2014 at 11:13 am (10 years ago)

Just yesterday we looked up your website and saw the post about B95 being spotted in December. I shared your comment with my lunch crew and can’t wait to share it with the rest of my classes. Thank you for stopping by.

Reply
  2. nf
    March 12, 2014 at 11:04 pm (10 years ago)

I’m sad for you that you only have 45 minutes normally in a period, there is so much one wants to get to and yet too often time dictates what actually gets attention!!

First of all, I love the constant reminder if how much kids love to be read to, regardless of their age… Second that you chose a non-fiction text … And lastly the doodling! Wow! What a strong representation of active listening and thinking while reading!!!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 13, 2014 at 5:43 am (10 years ago)

Yes, even 7th graders love to be read aloud to. I’m glad I at least get to do it now.

Reply
  3. Laura
    March 12, 2014 at 9:12 pm (10 years ago)

Thank you for sharing. I am going to try out some doodling tomorrow during read aloud time. I enjoyed the picture.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 12, 2014 at 9:20 pm (10 years ago)

Have fun with doodling tomorrow!

Reply
  4. Colleen Shuler
    March 12, 2014 at 9:08 pm (10 years ago)

I love this idea. I’m getting ready to read the book Hidden to my students since we’ve been reading and writing poetry. I have several doodlers and talented artists. I will definitely be trying this technique. Thanks for sharing.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff

I love HIDDEN! It’s been a favorite with my students this year, too. I hope your students enjoy the doodling.

Reply
  5. Jennie
    March 12, 2014 at 8:33 pm (10 years ago)

Doodling is a great way for kids to keep their hands busy when they are listening to reading. I have used doodle journals before. It encourages visualizing.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 12, 2014 at 8:52 pm (10 years ago)

I’ve just started exploring doodling like this even though I’m a constant doodler myself of more random things.

Reply