Writer for Hire

Ever since I first learned to read and write, I dreamed of being a writer.  I still do.  I’ve always written–journaling, poetry, stories–but most of it has never gone past my notebooks except for pieces shared with my students as I teach writing.  In the past few years I’ve gone more public with my writing through books reviews and personal stories on this blog.  I’ve even taken part in Teachers Write over the summer.

I’ve read enough author blogs to realize that my dreams of sending an unsolicited manuscript to a big-time publisher and landing a publishing deal and a New York Times bestseller are far-fetched.  But I began to wonder if I could get paid to write.  There are people making a living as free lance writers.  They might not be writing the next Great American Novel (or they might have it hidden in dresser drawers in the attic), but they get paid to write.  Why not me?

Last week I received my first paycheck (actually a PayPal deposit) for my writing.  I haven’t earned much (I might be able to take my family out for ice cream with my first earnings of $20.87), but I have learned a lot.  I chose to start through a website that listed articles people were willing to pay to have written.  I should have suspected something when all their advertising emphasized their low cost.  Low cost = low pay, but they demanded little in commitment.  All I needed was an email and password to sign up, and I could start writing.  More importantly, I could write on my schedule when I had time.  Even though I only earned a few dollars per article, I learned so much.  I’ve written on everything from MMA clothing to regions of Norway.  I’ve previewed cars and baseball teams for the upcoming year.  My favorite article to write directed me to play an online video game (a Scooby Doo driving game) and write a mini-review.  I even had clients list me as one of their favorite writers and send special requests.  I also had clients who didn’t like my writing and reject my articles.  Doesn’t getting rejections happen to the best of writers?

I also signed up for the Yahoo Contributor Network.  Here I can either claim assignments or submit my own writing.  Some articles (not mine yet) get paid a few dollars upfront, but most are paid based on how many views or page clicks your article receives.  The first article I submitted was one of the rejected articles from above about make up tips to make you look younger:  Do You Want to Look Younger Now?.  (Those people who know me, laugh at this article.  Too bad I’m not writing humor.)  I just got the email notification that my second article was published today!  I like this one much better, so if you get the urge to go hiking as the weather warms up and want to visit southern Indiana, check out these great spots in Explore the Great Outdoors.

I still have much to learn about this writing business, but I’m having fun learning and even getting paid a little bit.

8 Comments on Writer for Hire

1. @kellylou
    March 11, 2014 at 12:54 am (10 years ago)

Wonderful that you are having fun with your writing and beginning to learn the way around the world of earning a little something for it in exchange! I visit several sites that post writing jobs but have yet to apply for anything… I have written twice for a magazine, but not for money! Your post gives me a little nudge toward DOing what I think about all the time – thanks for sharing!

March 11, 2014 at 6:53 am (10 years ago)

Give some of those job postings a try. I spent a long time looking, too.

2. Edith Middleton
    March 10, 2014 at 10:43 pm (10 years ago)

Wow! It sounds like you’re really putting yourself out there! So awesome and perseverance is truly the key to success 🙂 You’re serving as a great role model. Congrats!

March 11, 2014 at 6:52 am (10 years ago)

Thanks! So far I’m having fun with it.

3. Bill Howard
    March 10, 2014 at 9:38 pm (10 years ago)

It all starts somewhere. I began writing again by answering a post on a hunting forum where a start-up newspaper was looking for an outdoors writer located in the mountains. I replied, wrote what has become my first column, and over the last three years have picked up 12 more newspapers. I can’t live off of it yet, but it does supply about a third of my income. Next week, one of my favorite magazines will begin running a column on paddling sports (kayak, canoe). I was asked by the editor to write that column each month. The income from the one column (monthly) is as much as a month’s worth from one newspaper. What’s more is I have supplied advertisers to them that were untapped before, meaning not only are they reaching a reader they didn’t have before, but now they are getting income from places they weren’t prior either. I’m super happy you have the Yahoo Contributor thing going, as I just had my second one published several weeks ago. I do not think I will make a lot of money off of it, but I do think it will open doors in the future just like that first reply to the forum post did three years ago.

Proud of you Kay and keep working towards your dreams, wherever they may take you and whatever they are!

March 11, 2014 at 6:51 am (10 years ago)

Thanks, Bill! You’ve been an inspiration!

4. Sonja
    March 10, 2014 at 9:23 pm (10 years ago)

very cool to see your efforts pay off!

March 11, 2014 at 6:50 am (10 years ago)

Thanks!