What’s your bookmark?

imageI’m taking part in the weekly Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by  Two Writing Teachers, where teachers write and share each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slicers. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

I keep a basket of bookmarks on my desk for students to use when they need one.  (I hope it will keep them from folding down the corners of the pages of my books.)  I usually keep it filled with bookmarks that authors and publishers have been generous enough to send me.  I love it when a students who has been using one of those bookmarks comes up to ask me if I have that title in my classroom library.  Usually I do, unless it’s already been checked out.

But when I sit down to read a book, I usually can’t find a bookmark.  Instead I get creative with place holders for my books.  Here are some of the odd and everyday items that I’ve used in the past to  hold my place in a book.

• Post-It notes:  I love these because they don’t fall out–at least until the sticky wears off.
  • Old envelops:  Not only do they mark my page, but I can scribble notes on them, too.
  • Junk mail:  It will do in a pinch if I’m not in too much of a hurry to  mail it back to the sender.
  • Paper clips:  These don’t fall out either, but they can mar the page if I’m not careful.
  • Empty gum wrappers:  Make sure the gum is completely out unless you want the pages to stick together.
  • Gift tags:  This one is great at holidays and birthdays.  Every time I open the book, I can remember the thoughtful person who gave me such a lovely gift to read.
  • Ribbons:  These are quite festive as bookmarks.  After all, a book is a gift that lasts.
  • Three-dimensional objects (pens or pencils, even other books).  Not recommended if you have to travel with the book, but if the book stays in place, it will do in a pinch.

What unusual items have you used for a bookmark?

17 Comments on What’s your bookmark?

1. Betsy Hubbard
    March 6, 2014 at 10:02 pm (10 years ago)

I think I have used all of these same items as book marks at one time or another. I would have to add electrical cord to the list!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 7, 2014 at 7:18 am (10 years ago)

I think you’ve topped me. I’ve never used an electrical cord!

Reply
  2. Vanessa

I’m reading a book right now that has a ribbon as a bookmark. I’ve also used jewelry, a necklace or bracelet that’s handy. Thanks for the fun and creative post.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 7, 2014 at 7:17 am (10 years ago)

I’ve had bookmarks that were made like jewelry but I keep loosing them.

Reply
  3. Lee Ann Spillane
    March 6, 2014 at 9:48 pm (10 years ago)

I’m a page folder. I admit it. Though I do have an affinity for post-its as book marks too.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 6, 2014 at 9:52 pm (10 years ago)

Shhh….I’ve been known to fold a page or two if I’m desperate, but I try not to.

Reply
  4. Diana Marc-Aurele
    March 6, 2014 at 9:06 pm (10 years ago)

If students are reading a book with a sad part, I have been known to give them a tissue bookmark for just in case!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 6, 2014 at 9:16 pm (10 years ago)

Oh, I forgot about tissues. I’ve used those, too.

Reply
  5. onathought
    March 6, 2014 at 9:04 pm (10 years ago)

I use anything that is nearby (or shhhhh… I fold the corner). Your post reminded me of all the bookmarks I had as a kid. A librarian friend of my mom used to send me and bring me all these amazing bookmarks with book art…. I wonder where they are! Off to email my mom. . . 🙂

onathought.com

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 6, 2014 at 9:16 pm (10 years ago)

I can’t keep up with my cool bookmarks either. I hope your mom knows what happened to yours!

Reply
  6. Leigh Anne
    March 6, 2014 at 8:58 pm (10 years ago)

I have used several of these on your list as well. My first go-to would be the sticky note. I wish I would have invented those!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 6, 2014 at 9:15 pm (10 years ago)

Post-Its are amazing!

Reply
  7. Melissa
    March 6, 2014 at 8:55 pm (10 years ago)

This reminds me of my fourth grade teacher who would cut the corners diagonally off of envelopes for us to use as bookmarks. She kept these in a bowl on her desk for us to take, to decorate, and to slip on to the corner of our books. These bookmarks were the best!

Reply
    • Leigh Anne
      March 6, 2014 at 8:59 pm (10 years ago)

What a great idea!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 6, 2014 at 9:15 pm (10 years ago)

I love this idea! I’m off to mutilate all the envelops that come our way now!

Reply
  8. Deb Day
    March 6, 2014 at 8:37 pm (10 years ago)

I’m a post-it note person myself. I like that they stay put…I even stick them where I left off on the page

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 6, 2014 at 8:44 pm (10 years ago)

I do like that about sticky notes. Some of my books have quite a few sticky notes left in them where I marked passages I liked.

Reply