It’s the Little Things

imageSnow started falling once again about four this afternoon.  By the time I left school about 4:30, the roads were covered with white.  At one point on the way home, the “slippery roads” light on the dash flashed as the car slid in the middle of the road.  I don’t see this light very often.  Growing up in the south, I believe that snow is a good excuse to stay home and curl up with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate, but this afternoon I was on a mission.

I had a pot of vegetarian chili and a loaf of bread to deliver to a neighbor.  Due to the snow being shaken down from the sky like salt from a salt shaker, it was a hit-and-run act of kindness.  My daughter grabbed the chili and bread as soon as we got to the house.  My fingers gripping the steering wheel, we inched our way through the woods (on the road of course) and turned before crossing the river.  No, I didn’t let her drive even though she has her permit now.  With a quick ring of the doorbell, I handed over the bread and chili and said, “You can eat it now or freeze it for later.”

Soon we were on our way home, mission accomplished.  We watched the snow continue to fall and cover the ground as we ate our dinner.  Every once in a while a handful of ice or sleet clatters against the window.  School activities for tonight have already been cancelled, and we wait for the phone call that will give a decision for tomorrow.  Even though there’s no official word yet, I can’t help making my wish list for what I want to do tomorrow:  catch up on book reviews, read the new poetry book (God Got a Dog by Cynthia Rylant) and graphic novels (from George O’Connors Olympians series) stacked on the counter, hem my new pants (even the SHORT sizes are too long), listen to more of Grave Mercies while I shovel snow off the driveways, and write.

No matter what tomorrow brings, I am glad I found joy in my life today among the little things.

image

I’m taking part in the weekly Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by  Two Writing Teachers, where teachers write and share each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slicers. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

6 Comments on It’s the Little Things

1. elsie
    February 4, 2014 at 10:20 pm (10 years ago)

What a good person you are! Once I landed at the house, after driving back from school, I’m hard pressed to leave. Hmmm, you need to hem short pants, I always pictured you taller. 🙂 Guess I will have to adjust my mental image. Enjoy your possible day!

February 5, 2014 at 7:32 am (10 years ago)

I’m glad you made it home safely, too! Yep, I’m short–or as my students say–fun sized!

2. Holly Mueller
    February 4, 2014 at 9:12 pm (10 years ago)

That’s quite the random act of kindness – risking life and limb! 😉 Enjoy your snow day! I’m sure we’ll get one, too. It started snowing here about an hour ago, and it’s coming down fast & furious!

I wanted to deliver it before we got completely snowed and iced in! It may not have been as bad as I think. I do not like to drive in snow.

3. Tara
    February 4, 2014 at 9:03 pm (10 years ago)

Good deed accomplished, now you are safe at home. Well done! We’re expecting tons of snow tonight – sigh – so tired of snow!

February 4, 2014 at 9:05 pm (10 years ago)

I’m usually the one singing “Let it Snow,” but this winter is getting riduculous. I wish we were better prepared to deal with it if we’re going to get this much.