What’s in a Name?

Today’s post for No Name Calling Week reflects on the power of names:

I was pretty lucky throughout school to escape most bullying.  Oh, I got a few taunts of four-eyes when I first got my glasses.  I had the occasional classmate in high school threaten to throw me out the window for ruining the curve on a test for the rest of the class, but I never felt threatened.

I was, however, painfully shy and went through many years where I kept my nose in a book whenever I was in class and looked at the floor when I walked through the halls.  Sometime during this period, I became embarrassed by my middle name: Reid.  A character on a television show during that time had a character by that name, and he was a guy.  How could my parents have given me a boy’s name?  Didn’t they know I was a girl?

The more I tried to hide my middle name from my classmates, the more they wanted to know.  Then the teasing and begging started for me to reveal my awful middle name.  The more people pushed me, the further I withdrew.  I was just sure that people would taunt me for having a boy’s name.  Then one day an act of kindness changed my mind.

During a Girl Scout meeting when everyone was hounding me about my middle name, Heather pulled me aside.

“Why don’t you tell me your middle name?  I won’t tell anyone and they will leave you alone if you tell me,” she offered.

After thinking it over for a long moment, I whispered my middle name in her ear.

She didn’t laugh.  She didn’t run back to the circle to tell everyone else.  Instead, she shared her own secret.  “Ohhh…Reid means pretty in French.”

I’ve since studied French and know that she completely made up that piece of French vocabulary, but I’ve never forgotten how her words transformed the way I felt about my name.

What experiences have you had with the power of names?

imageI’m taking part in the weekly Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by  Two Writing Teachers, where teachers write and share each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slicers. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

8 Comments on What’s in a Name?

1. Jaana
    January 22, 2014 at 9:32 pm (10 years ago)

I had never really thought about the meaning of my name until I moved to Asia. Suddenly everyone wanted to know what my name means. I had no idea. Fortunately, my Chinese friends and teachers were very understanding. They also gave me a beautiful meaning name that mimics the sounds in my real name. I now have a name with a meaning! Thanks for telling your story about your name.

January 22, 2014 at 9:42 pm (10 years ago)

That was such a cool tribute your friends gave you. What meaning did they give your name?

2. Tara
    January 21, 2014 at 3:07 pm (10 years ago)

We need more Heathers in this world, don’t you think?

January 21, 2014 at 4:12 pm (10 years ago)

Absolutely!

3. elsie
    January 21, 2014 at 11:58 am (10 years ago)

Parents should be very careful picking names, they really do influence a child’s life. Can you imagine what children who are named Blue Ivy, North, and Apple will go through (I’m thinking of the ones named after the original, since the original ones won’t have any taunters allowed in their life.)
    What a good friend to make you change your mind about your middle name.

January 21, 2014 at 12:48 pm (10 years ago)

I’ve had some students with very creative names, but even when parents choose carefully (mine did), it’s hard to predict what the future will do with a name. I bet the girl doesn’t even remember the incident, but I sure do.

4. Melanie Meehan
    January 21, 2014 at 7:57 am (10 years ago)

I hated my name for a very long time. People could always find a way to work in smell with Mel and develop poems… I will share your post with one of my daughters who has a family name as middle name. SHe has just recently begun to share it with pride. I really enjoyed this post!

January 21, 2014 at 8:18 am (10 years ago)

Thank you! I will be inviting my students to write about their names. It was on for today, but we are out with yet another snow day!