Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time the Graphic Novel by Hope Larson

imageI hate being asked what my favorite book is because there are just too many good books to choose from, but Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time is always near the top of my list of potential all-time favorites.  Actually, that’s not quite right.  I like each book in the Time Quintet better than the one before, but Wrinkle holds a special place in my heart for being the book that starts them all.

I was a little nervous to try Hope Larson’s graphic novel adaptation.  What if she didn’t get all the things I loved about this story where Meg Murray, her brother Charles Wallace, and their friend Calvin O’Keefe travel through time and space to rescue her father from the dark thing that holds him captive on Camozotz?

I didn’t need to worry.  Larson gets it.  The blue and black drawings give an other-worldly feel, and the pictures and text capture the gist of the story.  I particularly liked her portrayal of the tesseract.  It is much as I pictured it when reading it.

More than anything else, I hope that this graphic novel introduces a new generation of readers to A Wrinkle in Time and leads them to journey through the rest of L’Engle’s books.  I can’t wait to share it with my students when I get back after Christmas break.