Michael Vey: Battle of the Ampere by Richard Paul Evans

imageThe Michael Vey series by Richard Paul Evans is among the hot books in my classroom library this year.  I was lucky to get my hands on the third book in the series, Battle of the Ampere (Simon Pulse/Mercury Ink 2013) to read over Christmas break.

Just like the first two books, this one is packed with action and adventure.  Michael has been taken in and protected by the Amacarra, but they cannot shelter him for long with both Hatch’s guards and the Peruvian army searching for him.  While with the tribe he meets, Tessa, yet another of the electric children disillusioned with Hatch.  Together they reconnect with people working with the mysterious Voice.

Michael is determined to rescue the rest of his friends, who are being held captive by the Peruvian army as terrorists.  For some reason, Peru did not take kindly to having its power supply cut off, and they are blaming the Electroclan.  At first the Voice is adamantly against the rescue attempt, holding out for diplomacy.

But once Hatch disposes of the Elgen board and accelerates his plan for world domination, Michael must rescue his friends and then carry out an impossible plan to sink the Elgen navy–or at least its lead ship the Ampere.  Will they succeed, or will their differences tear them apart first?