Hidden by Helen Frost

imageI cannot wait to introduce Hidden to my seventh graders.  There are so many things I loved about it–the innovative poetic structures, the multi-layered tension, and most of all the two girls whose lives intersect in unbelievable ways.

The premise of this book gripped me from the front cover.  Two girls–Wren and Darra–meet in Cabin 8 at Camp Oakwood.  Even though they have never seen each other, they recognize each other from a life-changing moment in their past six years earlier.  Darra’s father had stolen a car, not knowing Wren was hiding in the back.  Wren hid for days in their garage, desperately seeking a way out.  Darra guessed the truth and left food and water out for Wren, but she was devastated by her father’s eventual arrest.

Now that their paths have crossed again, will they be able to confront–and forgive–their shared history?

I wish I had read the Helen Frost’s note on the poetic structure first because as soon as I did read it, I had to go back and reread the book again to experience another level to the story.  On second thought, it was totally worth reading again.  Part I is in free verse poetry from Wren’s voice.  Once the girls arrive at camp, Darra and Wren alternate telling the story.  In the form Frost created for Darra, the end words in the long lines create new sentences that reveal Darra’s hidden thoughts.  Part II shares her memories of her dad before the kidnapping.  Part III reveals her thoughts during Wren’s kidnapping.