Witches! by Rosalyn Schanzer

imageI have always been fascinated by the dark period in our history known as the Salem Witch Trials.  What caused the townspeople to turn on each other and hurl accusations of witchcraft that led to the death of more than twenty people and the imprisonment of hundreds of others?

Rosalyn Schanzer sets the stage, gathers the cast of characters, and describes the gruesome events that occurred in Salem Village in 1692.  Witches! The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem (National Geographic 2011) sorts out fact from fancy in a riveting account of that year.  Primary sources give voice to both the accused and their accusers as well as to witnesses of the trials and hangings.  The black-white-and-red scratchboard illustrations add to the horrific mood.

Even though 1692 seems long ago, the events still seem relevant today.  The charges might not be witchcraft, but our fears can still distort our view of reality and lead to accusations that can ruin lives.  If you, too, are fascinated by this story, you might enjoy reading more.  Here are some of my favorite historical fiction books dealing with the Salem Witch Trials:

• The Crucible by Arthur Miller – This is the one I first remember the power of the Salem Witch Trials.  The stark horror on the stage intertwined with our class discussions of the Red Scare and McCarthyism.
  • A Break with Charity by Ann Rinaldi – This is my favorite.  Susannah English must find the courage to speak the truth and grapple with her own beliefs.
  • Tituba of Salem Village by Ann Petry – Learn the story of one of the central characters from the trials who often doesn’t have a voice.
  • Gallows Hill by Lois Duncan – This story brings the Salem Witch Trials into a contemporary setting with a supernatural twist.
  • Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare – I know this is not really set in Salem, but the story explores many of the same fears.