Perspective from the Pit

I’m taking part in the weekly Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by Ruth and Stacey over at Two Writing Teachers, where teachers write and share each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slicers. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

I have always enjoyed watching plays and musicals.  Even though I have no desire to act on stage, I have thought it would be fun to dress in black and move stuff around the stage.  I’m still not on stage, even in black, but I am getting a new perspective from the orchestra pit in our high school’s production of The Music Man.

As soon as I got the music I knew I was in way over my head, but I have enjoyed seeing how all the parts of such a large production come together.  I’ve been practicing on my own and with the rest of the pit crew.  The actors and actresses have been learning lines and blocking.  The stage crew has been building sets and collecting props.  Last week I got to see how it all comes together as the pit started practicing with the cast.

It’s slow at first as cast and musicians learn each other’s cues and timing, but I can see how the magic will happen when the curtain rises.  Each practice something new is added–a new piece of the set with a fresh coat of paint, new props to carry on.  Next week comes the addition of mics and lights and costumes.  While the cast practices dialogue, those of us down below in the pit practice making faces at an imaginary audience.

I like my perspective from the pit.

2 Comments on Perspective from the Pit

1. Carol
    April 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm (11 years ago)

This sounds really, really interesting! I have always LOVED going to the theater, but I’ve never been on this side. I would love to give it a try someday!

April 9, 2013 at 9:57 pm (11 years ago)

It’s been lots of fun. I wish I could have captured it better–seeing practice with lines and music but no props, then adding props, repeating lines and songs to try to get closer to right. I love it all.