Spring Break Reading

I’m taking part in the Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by Ruth and Stacey over at Two Writing Teachers. I hope to write every day for the month of March and then continue weekly each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slices. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

It seems my TBR pile grows faster than I can read.  Right now I have books stashed away in boxes and baskets at home.  There is another box and a towering pile of books behind my desk at school.  They are all books I want to read, but I keep finding more shiny, new books to pick up first.  I vow that I’m not going to buy any more books until I read the ones I have, but then I flip through the book order I pass out to my students (If I buy just three more books, look at how many more bonus points I earn.), or visit the book fair in our school library (If I buy books at the book fair, the library can get more books, too.), or read updates from my friends at GoodReads (Look at what she’s reading.  I have to add it to my list).  You see how it goes.  I suppose it’s a good thing there is not a bookstore in town, or my house would overflow with books.

For the past several school breaks, I have taken part in the #bookaday challenge started by Donalyn Miller and others from the Nerdy Book Club.  I may not completely burn through my TBR pile, but reading nine books in nine days (for spring break this year) helps me make progress…at least enough I can restock at the school book fair next week.  You can see from the picture, I spent some of the time catching up on graphic novels.  I love the Olympians series by George O’Connor.  I also read some professional development books and a few good stories than ranged from hilarious to heartbreaking.  I’m still working on the latest nonfiction by Steve Sheinkin, but I have two days left of break to finish it off.  I’m also listening to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks while I run and clean, but it will last beyond spring break.   Who knows?  I might even sneak in one more.

I’m looking forward to sharing these titles with my students when we return to school on Monday, and hearing what they read over break.  I bet they have some good book recommendations to add to my stack!  What good books have you read lately?

16 Comments on Spring Break Reading

1. Maria Selke (@mselke01)
    March 31, 2013 at 9:05 am (11 years ago)

It’s so nice to have NBC friends who share this same problem. If I were to survey my house and find and pile up all the books I have purchased and not yet read – they would be taller than I am!

And yet… I still buy books every time I go out and request books from the library and take books home that students hand me when they insist I must read them…

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 31, 2013 at 12:39 pm (11 years ago)

I’m so glad I’m not alone. I love my NBC friends.

Reply
  2. Carol
    March 30, 2013 at 11:36 pm (11 years ago)

My TBR pile is like yours- it grows and grows and grows! And always for good reasons, like the ones you had in the first paragraph! I usually do #bookaday, but I didn’t get nearly enough reading done over break. I did finish GONE GIRL (it’s an adult book) which I enjoyed, and snagged Kent Haruf’s newest book, BENEDICTION at the library, but haven’t read it yet. I am now reading DESTINY, REWRITTEN. Loving that one so far…

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 31, 2013 at 7:13 am (11 years ago)

Those sound like good ones! Happy reading!

Reply
  3. Catherine @readingtothecore
    March 30, 2013 at 9:28 pm (11 years ago)

My TBR pile would reach the ceiling, too! I read Poseidon from the Olympian series yesterday and finished Oggie Cooder by Sarah Weeks today. Divergent is next on the list. Happy reading!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 31, 2013 at 7:12 am (11 years ago)

I’m looking forward to reading Poseidon. I haven’t gotten to DIVERGENT yet. I may be the last reader on Earth to get to it, but it’s on my list!

Reply
  4. Shannon Clark
    March 30, 2013 at 1:28 pm (11 years ago)

I’ve got a TBR list that also reaches the sky!! Everything you talked about describes me EXACTLY!! I’m starting to think it’s not just a passion for reading-it’s a disorder. 🙂 BUT-I don’t want the cure!!

I’ve never been interested in mythology too much, but those Olympian books look good-I think because they look short. Do our kids do that same thing????

We return to school on Monday so I’ve only got 1 1/2 days to read, read, read.

Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 30, 2013 at 1:31 pm (11 years ago)

I definitely don’t want a cure–though my husband might disagree. Enjoy reading the rest of the weekend.

Reply
  5. elsie
    March 30, 2013 at 10:31 am (11 years ago)

It is dangerous hanging around with writers and readers because they always talk about new/old books and whet your appetite for them. I just finished The False Prince. I started it because several blogs spoke of it highly. It’s not my usual type of book to read. At first I thought I’m not going to read this, I know where it is going. But the more I read, the more in was sucked in and now I am fifth in line on the hold list at the library for the second book.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 30, 2013 at 11:22 am (11 years ago)

I’ve been eyeing THE FALSE PRINCE. Like you, I’ve been hearing many good things about it. I’d say I’ll add it to my stack the first opportunity I see to buy it.

Reply
  6. Margaret
    March 30, 2013 at 9:35 am (11 years ago)

One book leads to another, and another. My pile grows many times more than my time for reading. My Amazon cart is full, too. Connecting with other teachers and writers exposes me to so many more books. I stopped into an independent bookstore on a recent trip and had to support them with a purchase, right?

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 30, 2013 at 9:42 am (11 years ago)

Of course! It would be cruel to walk into a bookstore and not buy anything.

Reply
  7. Bev
    March 30, 2013 at 9:31 am (11 years ago)

I got a chuckle as I could have written your first paragraph word for word! I am so addicted – I can’t go to Costco without buying at least one book. It’s like the grass is always greener – I can’t resist that new book.
    Loved the Henrietta lacks book – haven’t read the Olympian series – will have to check it out.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 30, 2013 at 9:43 am (11 years ago)

I’m just glad to know I’m not alone. I’m the only one in my family with such a book habit. I am enjoying the Henrietta Lacks book. I didn’t know much about it when I downloaded it, but it’s motivating me to run and clean so I can listen to more.

Reply
  8. dogtrax
    March 30, 2013 at 9:04 am (11 years ago)

I see a few familiar titles there. It’s funny, but I found myself recently getting nervous that my TBR pile had shrunk.
    :0
    Kevin

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 30, 2013 at 9:27 am (11 years ago)

I would probably wonder what was wrong if my TBR pile ever did actually shrink!

Reply