How to Enjoy a Snow Day

I’m taking part in the Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by Ruth and Stacey over at Two Writing Teachers. I hope to write every day for the month of March and then continue weekly each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slices. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

Yes, it’s spring–even spring break–and I seem to be the only one not complaining about the nearly one foot of snow on the ground.  It doesn’t matter how old I get, snow is an invitation to play.  Here’s how I’ve enjoyed my past couple of snow days…in pictures.

I couldn’t let my husband have all the fun.  I grabbed a second shovel and helped move snow off the driveway, or at least part of it.  My father-in-law’s advice was, “God brought the snow.  We can let Him get rid of it.”

Next, it’s time to warm up with a cup of hot tea and some good books.  As you see, I’m working on increasing my graphic knowledge collection.  I can’t wait to share these on Greek mythology with my students.  These are a double whammy–graphic novels and nonfiction!

This morning I took care of replenishing the  bird feeders.  We can watch dozens of birds come to the feeder throughout the day.  They don’t seem to be suffering too much.  I’ve seen the plumpest robin.

The feeder says it is squirrel proof, but I think someone needs to design one that is deer proof, if the prints leading to the feeder are any indication.

I couldn’t talk anyone into building a snowman with me this morning, so I had to create this lovely fellow all by myself.

14 Comments on How to Enjoy a Snow Day

1. Maria Selke (@mselke01)
    March 27, 2013 at 7:48 pm (11 years ago)

Nice! I adore the O’Connor graphic novels too! 🙂

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 27, 2013 at 8:05 pm (11 years ago)

Now that I’ve read these four, I see that the fifth one on Poseidon is out.

Reply
  2. Tara
    March 26, 2013 at 7:08 pm (11 years ago)

Oh, you certainly had fun…down to that charming looking snowman. I am done with snow, though…DONE!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm (11 years ago)

The poor snowman has already fallen over. I don’t think this snow is going to stick around long.

Reply
  3. elsie
    March 26, 2013 at 5:24 pm (11 years ago)

If snow is there, you might as well enjoy it and it looks like you did. It is beautiful, but it needs to leave quickly when we are in March. Glad you are keeping the birds full.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 26, 2013 at 5:41 pm (11 years ago)

it was beautiful coming down, and the roads are already clear. There are even bare patches of ground showing.

Reply
  4. Jacquelyn Haworth Hoy
    March 26, 2013 at 4:43 pm (11 years ago)

What fun!!! I know people were upset with this last snow we had…but I love it…even though we were driving home through it…the beauty just takes my breath away. I love your pictures…you snowman looks happy. I’m glad we got this last (well maybe not) snow to give us one more day of the white blanket softening the landscape. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 26, 2013 at 5:08 pm (11 years ago)

I’m with you. The beauty of a snowfall takes my breath away every time. And the best part of a March snow is that it melts quickly, especially from the roadways.

Reply
  5. Storykeeper
    March 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm (11 years ago)

The pictures and writing were a delight to read. Your writing really does show your love of the snow.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 26, 2013 at 3:43 pm (11 years ago)

Thank you! I do love the snow, but it is melting fast today.

Reply
  6. Carol
    March 26, 2013 at 11:16 am (11 years ago)

Sounds like you are having a terrific spring break- shoveling with your husband, a few good books and warm beverages, and then more outside play! We got a foot on Saturday and I actually didn’t mind either. Like you, I enjoy being outside in the snow!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 26, 2013 at 11:31 am (11 years ago)

I wish I knew how to snowshoe or cross country ski. This snow seems perfect for that kind of adventure. Maybe I’ll have to plan a winter vacation where I can go and learn!

Reply
  7. Chris
    March 26, 2013 at 10:46 am (11 years ago)

I’m glad you are finding happiness in the snow! I love your pictures – they really add to the story! I’m great with snow until it’s March and then I’m feeling done with it. I do always prefer snow to rain, though!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 26, 2013 at 11:32 am (11 years ago)

Thanks! I had fun taking the pictures. If it’s going to be cold and precipitating, it might as well snow. There’s nothing more miserable than a cold rain.

Reply