Grumpy Girls

I’m taking part in the Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by Ruth and Stacey over at Two Writing Teachers. I hope to write every day for the month of March and then continue weekly each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slices. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

I have discovered the secret behind teen curfews.  My parents told me that my curfew (11 pm) was for my own good.  It just wasn’t decent for teenage girls to be out until the wee hours of the morning or to hang out on street corners.  They told me I needed to protect my reputation. Having a curfew would reduce temptation and keep me out of trouble.  Those things are still true enough, but now that I’m the parent, I’ve discovered a closely guarded secret.

What is this secret?  Curfews are really for the parents.  I need my sleep.  My daughter went to a Winter Jam concert last Saturday.  I knew she was in good hands even though they would be home late.  My daughter insisted that I didn’t have to wait up for her.  Yes, I did.  I’m one of those moms who can’t sleep if my girl is out.  She asked  how I’d sleep when she spent the night somewhere.  There was a definite eye roll when I insisted, “That’s different.”

I did get to visit and comment on lots of slices, but I don’t bounce back quickly from 2 am bedtimes anymore.  I tried napping on Sunday afternoon and getting to bed earlier every night, but I’m still dragging on Thursday.  I’m not the only one.  Someone else has found it hard to drag out of bed in the morning, too.  As a result, there are two grumpy girls in our house this week.  Thank goodness spring break is next week.

6 Comments on Grumpy Girls

1. Chris
    March 21, 2013 at 11:42 pm (11 years ago)

I’m all about curfews – my 16yo has the state driving curfew to follow, since she usually drives her friends around. Glad the state rule is 11pm – saves me from being the “mean mom!” 🙂

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 22, 2013 at 5:40 am (11 years ago)

I like that curfew. I wonder if Indiana has one for teen drivers? I guess we’ll find out in driver’s ed this summer.

Reply
  2. Carol
    March 21, 2013 at 10:10 pm (11 years ago)

Totally right there with you! I need my beauty sleep and I can’t sleep until I know my fellas are safe in bed. Right now I only have one at home, but when there is a special event, like a dance, or concert, I pay for it all week!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 22, 2013 at 5:39 am (11 years ago)

I thought I would recover more quickly than this. Thank goodness for spring break.

Reply
  3. Beth Rogers
    March 21, 2013 at 8:42 pm (11 years ago)

I share your thinking! It has been very hard to convince my eye-rolling 21 year old Marine that it is common courtesy to let me know when he gets home. Good luck!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 21, 2013 at 9:17 pm (11 years ago)

I have a feeling this weekend was one of the easy ones since she was being chauffeured and chaperoned by her boyfriend’s grandparents. I will be a mess when she’s old enough to drive.

Reply