Wow! Look what we’ve been reading!

I’m taking part in the Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by Ruth and Stacey over at Two Writing Teachers. I hope to write every day for the month of March and then continue weekly each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slices. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

It is time to celebrate.  The first day of school I shared a quote with my students from Joseph Addison:  “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.”  Then I told my students that I expected each of them to read 40 books from a variety of genres by the end of the school year, as Donalyn Miller suggest in The Book Whisperer.  Most of my students thought I was crazy.  Many of them have shared that they hadn’t read that many books in their entire life. (They are using hyperbole, right?)

We are now three-fourths of the way through the year, and by golly, we are doing it.  I am so proud of my students and what they are reading.  Shhh! Don’t tell, but some of them are even enjoyng a few books.  We have read picture books, graphic novels, middle grade and young adult novels and nonfiction.  Here is what we have read so far:

A total of 133 students have read 3,192 books.  That’s an average of 24.0 books per student.

• 2nd period:  31 students read 1,097 books, for an average of 35.4 books per student.
  • 3rd period:  22 students read 686 books, for an average of 31.2 books per student.
  • 5th period:  25 students read 357 books, for an average of 14.3 books per student.
  • 6th period:  29 students read 627 books, for an average of 21.6 books per student.
  • 7th period:  26 students read 425 books, for an average of 16.3 books per student.

14 Comments on Wow! Look what we’ve been reading!

1. Carol
    March 20, 2013 at 10:55 pm (11 years ago)

Aahhh! After weeks and weeks and weeks of state testing, it is so great to read about a group of kids whose teacher is helping them develop into lifelong readers! If I was there, I’d give you a huge hug! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Have you read Penny Kittle’s BOOK LOVE yet? It’s similar to Donalyn’s book, just another really inspiring teacher doing terrific work with high school kids! Keep up the great work!

March 21, 2013 at 7:56 am (11 years ago)

I try to remember that there is a goal for education beyond those tests. Yes, I love BOOK LOVE. I carry it with me everywhere and share it with people. I’ve even added tracking student reading rates and checking their reading homework based on the pages they’ve read each week.

2. elsie
    March 20, 2013 at 10:37 pm (11 years ago)

I love to read about classes that read. This is awesome!

Thanks! I’m pretty proud of them.

3. Rachel Z
    March 20, 2013 at 8:34 pm (11 years ago)

Way to go, kids! Clearly, you’ve been a great inspiration.

March 20, 2013 at 9:09 pm (11 years ago)

I love the fact that they are wowed by our numbers, too.

4. Brighid
    March 20, 2013 at 8:33 pm (11 years ago)

Awesome! This is officially the second time in the past couple days that I have heard of the success’ of a ind reading challenge. You’ve inspired me. I teach 6th grade, but now I’m convinced I have to implement something like this. Congrats to your students – and you! 🙂

March 20, 2013 at 9:10 pm (11 years ago)

They think it’s impossible, but then they surprise themselves. Not every kid will reach twenty, but I think anyone who goes from reading no books to over 10 is still a winner.

5. Melanie Meehan
    March 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm (11 years ago)

Wow! They are completely going to beat 40 books and maybe some of them will walk away LIKING to read–how great is that!?!? You definitely should be bragging. BTW, WWYD is my new favorite texting expression. I will never write it without thinking of you!

March 20, 2013 at 9:11 pm (11 years ago)

I love how far they have come this year.

6. Margaret
    March 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm (11 years ago)

Awesome! How did you do it? Is there a competition between classes? Looks like 5th period may want to step it up a bit. My students love a competition. The Slice of Life Challenge has them writing like never before. Next year…book challenge!

March 20, 2013 at 9:13 pm (11 years ago)

I try to downplay the competition between classes and focus on individual improvement. The numbers aren’t quite fair for my 5th period. It has had the most students leave and new students join through the year. I two students enroll in that class last week. One of them told me he hadn’t read any books on his own at his previous school.

7. Catherine @readingtothecore
    March 20, 2013 at 7:58 pm (11 years ago)

That is awesome! Congratulations to your students and to you for being such an inspiration to them.

Thank you!