Playing with Haiku

I’m taking part in the Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by Ruth and Stacey over at Two Writing Teachers. I hope to write every day for the month of March and then continue weekly each Tuesday. Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slices. If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post. I’d love to read it.

I downloaded the Haiku Deck app for my iPad and decided a snowy Sunday afternoon was the perfect time to play around with it.  It’s pretty easy to figure out, and I love the pictures.  I also appreciate the fact that the pictures can be shared with a Creative Commons license, something I preach at my students to use when including images on their blogs.

I forsook the traditional nature subject for haiku (thought it was tempting to write about the snow).  Instead I played around with one about reading:

Then since I stayed up way too late last night waiting for my daughter to get home from the Winter Jam concert, I wrote one about sleep:

12 Comments on Playing with Haiku

1. Storykeeper
    March 17, 2013 at 10:56 pm (11 years ago)

The app looks fun. Thanks for sharing your ideas. Lots to play with.

March 18, 2013 at 6:14 am (11 years ago)

Have fun playing around with it. It looks like there is a lot more you could do, too.

2. elsie
    March 17, 2013 at 7:16 pm (11 years ago)

I love the pictures that are given as choices, some have unique perspectives. Both of yours were fun, but my favorite is the reading, especially the last line. I will have to play with this.

March 17, 2013 at 7:38 pm (11 years ago)

Thanks! Have fun playing with the words and pictures. I can see a lot of different things I could do with it.

3. Carol

This looks like a really fun app! i have never even heard of it before. Looks like one I definitely want to try!

March 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm (11 years ago)

It is a lot of fun. I love the pictures they suggest, but I think you can upload your own as well. It’s super easy.

4. Maya Woodall
    March 17, 2013 at 7:13 pm (11 years ago)

Thanks for sharing. I want to go play with this app, too. Ah, the visual haiku. What fun!

Have fun playing!

5. aggiekesler
    March 17, 2013 at 6:54 pm (11 years ago)

Such a neat app! I’m going to share this with my grade levels who are teaching poetry! Thanks for sharing.

March 17, 2013 at 7:36 pm (11 years ago)

I hope they have fun playing with it. You can do more than just poetry, too.

6. Amy Rudd
    March 17, 2013 at 5:26 pm (11 years ago)

Kay,
    Thanks for sharing all of this great stuff. I have been following some of your posts but I have been using my phone a lot to view the slices. This is the first time I’ve seen your blog on the computer, as I am in the office upstairs today. Your blog is loaded with tons of great tools to use in the classroom.

Also, I love that you shared about haiku deck. Really fun!

Love today’s haiku.

March 17, 2013 at 6:29 pm (11 years ago)

Thanks! I’m glad you’ve enjoyed my blog. I can’t believe you’re doing most of the slice of life challenge with your phone. That’s impressive. I had a lot of fun with Haiku Deck. I wish all my students had iPads so they could use it, too. I’ll be sharing it with those who do have one.