Nonfiction versus story: Both are winners….Slice 10

I’ve never been a big nonfiction fan.  I always wanted stories over just the facts.  I was among the top readers for the library’s summer reading program, but I balked at requirements to read a book in each of the 100’s for the Dewey Decimal section.  I can remember the librarian in the children’s room begging me to try some nonfiction.  I finally compromised by agreeing to read some of them.  The 200’s weren’t too bad because I could fill up on Greek and Roman and Norse mythology.  I also didn’t mind reading from the biography section–Dorothea Dix and Clara Barton and Sacajawea and Stonewall Jackson were favorites.

I first discovered that nonfiction–real nonfiction from the other numbers–could be fascinating when I worked as a page in that same library during high school.  I was no dummy.  The nonfiction shelves were much easier to keep in order because there were many fewer people browsing and placing books on random shelves.  Being the bookworm that I was, I couldn’t help peeking between the covers of the books I was supposed to be shelving, especially on slow nights.  Was I surprised when I wanted to keep reading some of them enough to check out and take home.  I could learn about anything–not just the boring stuff in my school textbooks.

Now that I am teaching, my bookshelves are still heavy on the stories, but my nonfiction collection is growing.  With the CCSS emphasis on nonfiction, I’m looking for those books that will open my students to the possibilities that I found hiding among the nonfiction stacks long ago.  Thankfully there are some incredible writers creating fascinating books on a multitude of topics.

I’m also discovering that there isn’t nearly as large a divide between facts and story as I once thought.  Yes, informational text is structured differently.  I particularly noticed the structure while listening to The Tipping Point. I wasn’t sure how well I would be able to follow an informational text while listening, but Gladwell offered clear transitions to keep from getting lost.  I also noticed that in this informational text, story held it all together.  I remember most the stories that illustrated the principles.  Why was Paul Revere’s ride to warn of the British invasion more  successful than Richard Dawes’s ride the same night?  What made Sesame Street and Blue’s Clues so successful?  How did New York City reduce crime so dramatically?

It was these and other stories that Gladwell wove throughout the book that helped me understand and remember the concepts.  I’ve also noticed that story plays an impoortant  role in most of the nonfiction that I’ve read and enjoyed, not just in the typical narrative nonfiiction.  Whoever claims that narrative is unimportant in today’s reading and writing demands must not be reading much quality nonfiction.

I’m taking part in the Slice of Life Challenge sponsored by Ruth and Stacey over at Two Writing Teachers.  I hope to write every day for the month of March and then continue weekly each Tuesday.  Join in yourself or head over to check out what’s happening with other slices.  If you’re taking part in the SOL, leave a link to your post.  I’d love to read it. 

16 Comments on Nonfiction versus story: Both are winners….Slice 10

1. Todd Saxton
    October 15, 2013 at 2:27 am (11 years ago)

Okay, I just ran across this in my insomniac state of business as I searched The Tipping Point by Gladwell to share with a friend whom I am encouraging to read.

You have referenced and perfectly illustrated a true form of story telling non-fiction work.

Thank you.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      October 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm (11 years ago)

I’m glad you found it helpful.

Reply
  2. Tenille
    March 10, 2013 at 10:24 pm (11 years ago)

Stories stick and facts fade. This is my mantra. Thanks for sharing a common struggle. My nonfiction library is slowly growing and folks like Malcom Gladwell, Dan Pink, The Heath Brothers, and Paul Tough inspire me to continue embracing expository text.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 11, 2013 at 7:35 am (11 years ago)

Dan Pink is an author I’ve been wanting to read. Which of his books do you recommend?

Reply
  3. Melanie Meehan
    March 10, 2013 at 9:35 pm (11 years ago)

In Jim Knight’s book, High Impact Instruction, he begins all of his chapters with stories and he has a whole chapter on stories, talking about Malcolm Gladwell’s idea of stickiness. You’d really appreciate it. I have been trying to weave stories into my teaching and students really do respond. Thanks for such a thoughtful post! I love that you started it with a story!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff

Thanks for the recommendation. HIGH IMPACT sounds like a book I would enjoy. We’ve been working with the Ron Clark Academy this year, and they emphasize the importance of story, too, in lessons.

Reply
  4. Maria Selke (@mselke01)
    March 10, 2013 at 6:56 pm (11 years ago)

I agree… stories pull me into nonfiction, too! I loved the graphic novel biography of Feynman. Bomb was amazing. They were about the stories.

Don’t miss Almost Astronauts! That was one of my favorite NF reads recently. A Black Hole is Not A Hole also rocked 🙂

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 10, 2013 at 8:04 pm (11 years ago)

I’ve been eyeing the graphic novel about Feynman. I’ll have to check out the space ones, too. Thanks for the recommendations & the retweet.

Reply
  5. dogtrax
    March 10, 2013 at 6:48 pm (11 years ago)

You should really check out Good Prose by Tracy Kidder and Richard Todd. It’s a fascinating look at the writing of non-fiction but in a very intriguing way (Kidder is the famous writer, Todd is his not-so-famous editor). It’s about the craft of writing from many angles.
    Kevin

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 10, 2013 at 8:02 pm (11 years ago)

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check it out. Thanks for the retweet, too.

Reply
  6. cbethm
    March 10, 2013 at 6:19 pm (11 years ago)

I remember reading non fiction with great happiness when I was in high school, but I think the required reading of college (almost all non fiction as I was a science major the first time around) killed my love of NF until I came across Bill Bryson’s books a few years after I graduated from college. I started with A Walk in the Woods, followed with In a Sunburned Country, and then read every other book the man has ever written. I was amazed at how he managed to weave impeccable research seamlessly together with narrative. Narrative is at the heart of all good writing – no matter the genre.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 10, 2013 at 6:40 pm (11 years ago)

I loved A WALK IN THE WOODS. I must get the rest of his books and catch up. I just don’t get the claims that narrative doesn’t matter. Story IS the heart of good writing.

Reply
  7. Nanc
    March 10, 2013 at 5:11 pm (11 years ago)

I love story also, but have been really loving the cross-over non-fiction so much. One of my favorites is Crocodile Disappearing Dragon. The croc is something you begin to love by the end of the book. I’m excited to report that I have a 50/50 split in the titles that I have picked for my summer course. xo

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 10, 2013 at 5:29 pm (11 years ago)

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll check it out. What is your summer course?

Reply
  8. Carol
    March 10, 2013 at 4:28 pm (11 years ago)

I love, love, love my stories. One of my favorite genre is historical fiction, which led me into biographies, which led me into more nonfiction, which I have also discovered I love. If you are looking for great nonfiction titles, try the CYBILS awards lists. There is a whole category devoted to picture book nonfction and then another category devoted to nonfiction for YA readers. Some phenomenal titles.

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 10, 2013 at 5:28 pm (11 years ago)

I’d much rather read about history through historical fiction, but I am finding some great history writers. Steve Sheinkin is one of my current favorites for NF. I’ll check out the Cybils list. I’ve been trying to get many of the titles on YALSA’s list for NF, too.

Reply