Music to My Ears

The short days of February seem to be the days I question if I am making any difference at all with my students.  We all seem to be gloomy and grumpy and ready for a change.  I think I might scream if one more student whines, “I hate reading.  Why do we read all the time?  Do we really have to write today?”   Well, yes, reading and writing are what we do.

Yesterday I heard murmurs of hope beneath the rumbles and grumbles of February.  As reading time came to an end this morning, I heard a chorus of “Can we read a little longer.  I just got to a good part.”  Or, “I just got this book today and can’t wait to start reading.” That is music to my ears.

This afternoon (with a much tougher audience) I heard more.  One boy came in excited that he has already read three books in the Amulet series this week as he grabbed the next two books off the shelf.   Another boy waved Margaret Peterson’s Haddix’s The Always War in front of my face and insisted that I take my copy home and read it tonight because “It’s that good.”  I overheard one girl whisper to another, “Have you read this book yet? It’s really good.  Others told me, “I read twenty pages [of a Sweet Valley High novel] last night” and “I’m reading on the bus ride now.”  More music to my ears.

Next week we are celebrating World Read Aloud Day.  Actually, we are celebrating all week since our schedule is topsy-turvy due to testing all next week.  I let three classes vote on a novel for me to read aloud to the class.  As I previewed the five choices, I saw students open their binders and write down titles and authors on their Someday Books page.  For some of them, it is the first title on the list.  That is definitely music to my ears and eyes.

8 Comments on Music to My Ears

1. Carol
    March 1, 2013 at 11:53 pm (11 years ago)

Love, love, love those magical times when kids are in love with books. And how perfect that it’s happening right in the middle of “testing season.” Happy reading!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 2, 2013 at 8:24 am (11 years ago)

It is wonderful! I love it when a formerly dormant reader comes in full of excitement about a book they’re reading.

Reply
  2. Jaana
    March 1, 2013 at 8:22 pm (11 years ago)

We had a one wonderful sunny day this week, and I totally treasured it! I always feel like I should take my students (high school) outside on a sunny day and breathe a little more life to them. Hopefully slicing in March will brighten your world! Welcome!q

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 1, 2013 at 9:32 pm (11 years ago)

It is wonderful to be able to take students outside. I used to do take students outside to read on those warm, sunny days. I’m looking forward to slicing and being part of such a warm and welcoming community.

Reply
  3. Tara
    March 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm (11 years ago)

Welcome to our slicing community! I think February is the hardest teaching month, too – it’s gloomy outside, and Spring feels much too far away. How marvelous, though, that your kids settled into their reading – that must feel wonderful!

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 1, 2013 at 1:10 pm (11 years ago)

You would think I would expect the gloominess of February after fourteen years of teaching, but every year it catches me by surprise. And every year I also hear whispers that remind me spring is coming.

Reply
  4. Deanna H
    March 1, 2013 at 11:32 am (11 years ago)

Welcome to the slice challenge! Thanks for posting.
    I can totally relate to the February rumbles and grumbles. Happens with my fourth graders too. I’m curious as to which novel won for you to read aloud to your class. Good luck and keep it up 🙂

Reply
    • Mrs. McGriff
      March 1, 2013 at 11:36 am (11 years ago)

One class chose Nightmare by Joan Lowry Nixon. I have to read it over the weekend since it was suggested by my coteacher. The other two classes chose Pictures of Hollis Woods. I think they were influenced by my sharing that I would probably cry while reading it aloud. I can’t wait to share it with them.

Reply